• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Ottawa, July 1st 2017 advice

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Next year will be Canada's 150th birthday and Canada day falls on a Saturday.

I've never been to the Capitol before and thought that the 150th would be a good reason to go with my family and friends for the weekend. We plan to book a couple (4-7) rooms in a economic hotel walking distance to the activities and fireworks. Since I know there are many people on here from the Ottawa area I thought I'd ask for advice.

Like I said, I've never been; so, what's a good location that's family friendly? I'd assume there will be stuff going on all over the city, what should I make a point to see. Are there any hotel recommendations? (Nothing that charges by the hour, if ya know what I mean). Is there anything to lookout for? After all I want it to be family friendly.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

flashinstinct

Nov 14, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
You're in for a rough ride. In order to be close to the stage on Parliament hill you have to get there before noon. There is usually 1 million people in the vacinity of the downtown core so moving around is a real headache. If you want a hotel walking distance you can try the Westin, Arc The Hotel, Alt Hotel, Les Suites, Novotel (opening soon) and a few other ones in the downtown area.

There is usually a whole bunch of entertainment on Sparks Street and the byward Market as well as the parks surrounding the Parliament. Everything is within walking distance.

Forget about driving anywhere that day. Once you hit downtown you can kiss your car goodbye until the next day. They close down most of the streets. Get here on the 30th. Park and drive off on the 2nd.

Fireworks: Your best bet is Nepean Point but you have to get there real early for a seat. The best iconic view of the river and the parliament buildings.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
How old are your kids? If they are under 5 years and you are not the most adventurous parent in the world you may want to hold off on coming up here. The 150th is going to be nuts downtown. I'll be keeping my family far away from there and I have a 5 year old and 7 year old. Hell, if they were both 10 I still wouldn't go and I like downtown quite a bit! To see the fireworks you're going to have to find a spot stupid early. The last time I went downtown for the fireworks I didn't even go to the front of the Parliment Buildings. My wife and I found a spot on the Quebec side behind Parliament and brought a sleeping bag to sit on and a small cooler for food. We got there at 5PM and the place was jammers by 6PM. Best seats in the house though. You can lie down and watch the fireworks straight overhead and you get the reflections off the water.