• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

O-Town Throwdown - Co-Organizer

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I need some help with the O-Town Throwdown this year, this will be the third annual tournament and I can't keep doing these things all on my own.

I much to busy with Canadian Pinball Championship, Canadian Pinball Challenge, TOPL Charity events, TOPL itself, launch parties and any other stuff that comes across my plate.

I need someone to help with the organizing of the O-Town Throw down this year.

I want to change the format this year as well as I haven't found that the last two years have been a success in terms of being able to raise any kind of significant prize pool. I plan to change the format to either a pump n dump format or PAPA format.

But here is what I need, someone to take over dealing with:

Finding machines for the tournament (I'll still bring 3 but we need 3 - 4 more)
Securing Trophies
Organizing volunteers for score keeping

I'll still handle:

Securing a tournament software to use
Dealing with the writing of the rules
Helping to overall organize the event.

The end goal of this is eventually pass the reigns of the O-town throwdown to someone else so I can stop being an organizer for almost every single competitive event in Ontario and just be a participant.

Let me know if you are interested in helping.

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
I can provide some tournament machines if they are picked up, delivered and brought back to my house. I wont be able to bring them myself this year.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Vengeance said:
Securing a tournament software to use

Is there specific software used for pinball tournaments or else I could help you write something from scratch if you supplied me with some criteria.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
In response to Adam's update that the O-Town Throwdown may not be happening if he doesn't get some help, I'd like to bump this.

Anyone able to take a bit of the weight off Becker's shoulders? Sure would be nice to make this event happen.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
As it stands right now, the Throwdown is canceled this year.

I asked for help and was met with crickets, I've shouldered the responsibility of competitive pinball in Canada for the last 5 years and something has to give.

It's starting to take hold in Toronto, but the Throwdown has not been as successful always costing me money and not gaining much strength in participation over the last 2 years.

I don't have the time to do everything, and the prospect of losing more money and dragging my ass to Ottawa to do so is not appealing.

Perhaps the absence of the Throwdown will force someone else to step up, or perhaps not.

If someone does decide to try and do something, let me know and I will do everything I can to ensure you can get it off the ground (short of organizing it myself).

It sucks that it won't be happening this year, but I can't do everything.

I'll revisit the tournament again next year if things on my end quiet down.

Jokercyclone

Nov 19, 2012
This does suck, it was my main reason for heading up to the show. I would of been glad to help out score keeping or whatever, but doubt I could organise a show in Ottawa not knowing people up their or being local. If it does go ahead sign me up where you need me. May not go to show without the Throwdown though.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
OK GUYS,

now is the time to step up and offer to help out.
if any ontario / ottawa guys can help, now is the time to make it known.

it would be a shame to not have a tournament at the show, and the absence of the tourney will no doubt hurt attendance.

i don't have a vehicle to bring games from montreal, but am trying to work out a solution.
ive also offered to be a scorekeeper for the tournament.

in the name of pinball, lets do this ! !!! !!!!

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Have no fear pinball fans........
There is a plan afoot for a tourney @ the Ottawa show.
I will post it here once the new tournament plan is known.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
WARLOCK said:
Have no fear pinball fans........
There is a plan afoot for a touney @ the Ottawa show.
I will post it here once the new tournament plan is known.

Good stuff Scott!

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
I am not creative enough or have time to make trophies but there is a trophy shop very close to my home in Ottawa and I could go in and inquire about cost.

Want me to do that, Adam? I can place the order if we want to move forward and help with the cost. Maybe Josh can help too.

If you want me to go check it out I need to know how many trophies we need.

Alternatively if the cost of new trophies is too high I've seen trophies at places like the Salvation Army and Value Village. We could try to get some of those and change the plaque for the o-town throw down. Just an idea?

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
cdnpinballer said:
I am not creative enough or have time to make trophies but there is a trophy shop very close to my home in Ottawa and I could go in and inquire about cost.

Want me to do that, Adam? I can place the order if we want to move forward and help with the cost. Maybe Josh can help too.

If you want me to go check it out I need to know how many trophies we need.

Alternatively if the cost of new trophies is too high I've seen trophies at places like the Salvation Army and Value Village. We could try to get some of those and change the plaque for the o-town throw down. Just an idea?

Trophies/plaques - I've ordered them for work and ski patrol, and let me tell you - not cheap.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Hummmmm. Even small ones?

Tell you what, I'll go to the Salvation Army and VV on my lunch hour today to get an idea what they have and report back.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
cdnpinballer said:
Hummmmm. Even small ones?

Tell you what, I'll go to the Salvation Army and VV on my lunch hour today to get an idea what they have and report back.

It's been a while, but I came in waaay over budget.

Probably the amount of engraving. If you go with the KISS theory, you may be able to keep the price down.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I don't like the generic trophies you get from a trophy store, I have always preferred to make my own so it's something pinball specific and something people will be proud to own. The idea of a generic winged angel holding a wreath or #1 just doesn't sound appealing.

These were the trophies I made for the first year:

I thought they turned out pretty good, and I made pinball pyramid trophies for year two.

If I'm going to do something I want it to be moving forward and some generic trophy from a trophy store isn't my idea of moving forward.

That's the issue, I just haven't had time to build a new trophy for this year

But thanks for the offer.

Attachments

• 0707110828-00.jpg
    0707110828-00.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 877

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Just for the record, those plaques are absolutely awesome. Definitely way better than a generic trophy. Even something very simple, but unique is better than a generic trophy in my opinion.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Sally Anne and Value Village had no trophies.

As I said before I don't have the time or skill to make trophies so I can't help there, sorry.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
From Sparky's post everyone for the tournament.

Fear not people... the tournament will happen. Following Vengeance's post on stepping out, I have been in discussions with Warlock and Josh in order to keep the tournament going. So... I am officially announcing that we will make sure that it happens.

Adam did mention to us that he was looking to change the format a bit this year, and kind of go with the format used at the Canadian Pinball Championships, and we agree. Also, I have heard A LOT of people say that they don't enter the tournament as they only come one day, so... we listened.

So here is a preliminary breakdown of it all. AND NOTHING IS SET IN STONE YET. Scott and I will iron out the details over the next few dayséI won't lie, we will need help ("referees/scorekeepers" mostly). Scott and I will bring some games over. And contrary to previous tourneys, the machines will vary. There will be a mix of DMDs, early SS and EM pins. I am aiming for a minimum of 6 machines. This is also where I may request the help of a fellow collector, if we are short.

And as stated, MANY wanted this done over a single day... and so it shall. Qualifying will be held from opening hour up to 5PM. At 5pm, qualifying is over and the elimination tournament begins. The number of people that are in the elimination round will depend on the amount of people that participate.

It will be 5$ to register and for first qualifying, and 3$ for every subsequent qualifying attempt . There will be 3 divisions... A-group (good players having previously pllayed in a tournament in the last 4 years), B-group (more casual players) and Junior-division (12 and under), as already stated. You will then get to choose any 4 machines that you want to play. Your scores will then be put on the scoreboard. For points, i will use the "Pinbrawl" points system that the MPL has been using. Best score on a machine will get 100pts. Second highest gets 99pts, and so on, for a max of 400 points per qualifying. You will be able to retry on any 4 machines again and try to improve your total points.

Once qualifying is over, we go with the OPL rules for the elimination. Top ranked goes against bottom ranked... single elimination!!!

I am working on trophies...

Prizes? I like Adam's distribution of prize money so it will go that way.

I will post more details as I clear things up.

And Cait... unless they break down, I am looking for at a minimum Space Shuttle, Rolling Stones (yup!!! I am bringing the grail!!!) and mayHigh Speed.

So... if anyone wants to help out, please let me know. Don't be shy.

We will make this happen. No matter what.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I will bring at least 3 more games to the O-Town throw down to shore up Ian's 3 SS contributions he listed.
Depending on what I bring, my 3 games will be for sale/trade once the tournament is finished.

I was thinking 1 - EM, 1 - SS and 1 - DMD, but this will leave us a bit light for DMD's in the tourney.
I will ponder it a bit more.

I may leave a couple of my DMD's that I was going to bring home to the GTA from Montreal in about
10 days in Montreal until after the Ottawa shop to get us up to 3 DMD's for the tourney as well.

I may require transport assistance help from Montreal to the Ottawa show location for these as Ian
and I will both have our minivan's full with 6 games as is.

More updates as they unfold.