• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

New SHADOW alternate translite and speaker panel

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Look what arrived in the mail yesterday ;)
For those of you that don't frequent Pinside, one of the very talented members there put this together.
Its a full kit that includes an all original shadow translite and matching speaker panel... as well as a custom set of cards.

Unlike some past alternates, this translite is super high quality and is based on the illustrated books/comics rather than the movie (and Alec Baldwin).
Another common criticism of previous attempts was that they never seemed to match up with the speaker panels... so Aurich took care of that too.

I didn't have my TS set up so I just snapped this shot on a light box. Looks pretty sweet.
Now this game can finally look as good as it plays!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 561

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Here's a few more pics from others that have already installed the kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 653
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 653

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Looks awesome. Great work all around. I'm on the fence about switching out art for alternates. It distorts history and alters the original vision. But hell, if they all looked this good...I'd be all for the swap out!

I have a feeling if I got a chance to play this game I'd be hooked.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Historical accuracy??? If it's not in a museum, or if your not a minty mint collector, then I'm all for switching and improving a game. After all, it's your game to improve and this looks great!

It's just like a car, custom paint, custom stereo, custom rims and tires. It can all be an improvement if done right, but if it looks horrible then you might have a hard sell later.

This is great, better then new.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
Not only that, but it is an easily reversible change if you decide you don't like it, or you're going to sell the machine to a purist.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Luckydogg420 said:
Historical accuracy??? If it's not in a museum, or if your not a minty mint collector, then I'm all for switching and improving a game. After all, it's your game to improve and this looks great!

Ya...I believe I did say "historical accuracy". We all have our preferences as to the look and feel of our gamerooms. I don't own a museum, and I am not a "minty mint" collector...I just prefer to have my machines take on the overall look they did in the 90s when I played them in an arcade environment. But I also did say the new art looked great, too. Its just another way of looking at things...just like the "You don't play the backglass" opinion above.

That Alec Baldwin backglass may not look tops, but I think it is an interesting historical snapshot of 1994...interesting to mull over why Williams/Bally went with this design in the first place. Had a lot to do with the studio pushing Baldwin as the next heart-throb action star, which didn't really pan out (obviously). Hell, his stardom was always tied with "Being a Baldwin Brother" rather than any of his leading roles (only breaking out of that stigma, arguably, with 30 Rock). I'll bet the entire design team went through licencing hell with that backglass, and in the end said "F*ck it", knowing they had a decent PLAYING game regardless of what the art looked like (see also the better documented Demo Man backglass battle). I have love for these backglass abortions...the same way I love blockbuster film flops...they are the product of what ten guys in suits sitting around a table erroneously think that we, as a society, desire.

If John Trudeau were designing the game, I imagine we'd get something that looked like this 1930s serial reimagining anyway.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I think it looks great but I don't really care if Baldwin's mug is starting at me while playing mine so I opted out. I can use the scratch I just saved towards funding my JJP WoZ 75th. :FP:

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Maybe I'm shallow, but the way a pin looks (and more importantly, it's theme) does play a lot towards my appreciation of the game.
I know it's irrational, but it's probably just the designer in me... Baldwin hurts my eyes :lol:

I did not get this game at all the first few times I played it. I found a deal on one earlier this year and decided to give it chance. I'm now a serious convert. Probably one of the best set of rules of any of my games and plenty of fun. Pretty unique layout too.

Since I'll be keeping it a while, I am definitely happy that I won't have to stare at Baldwin every time I walk into my gameroom.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
spiroagnew said:
If I'm ever lucky enough to own a Shadow, I'm going to opt to buy the alternate translite featuring STEPHEN Baldwin.

And you thought Alec was creepy...

I think someone should try an alternate that has all of the Baldwin clan represented. Maybe just remove all those superfluous characters on the original and replace them with Stephen, William and Daniel!

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
The horror..... 3 Baldwin's too many....

I have an older alternate translite for my Shadow.

I will not be using the Baldwin original, or the new super-spiffy one.
Although, that new one looks sweet.

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
Got mine today. Just installed it! It is absolutely amazing! It belongs on the game. Aurich absolutely nailed it! The spirit of the shadow, that is. I highly recommend it. The quality is great and it looks much much better in person.

I never had an issue with Baldwin until seeing this upgrade.

Cheers,
Tom.