• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

MOD OR NOT TO MOD !?

Mike Walsh

Aug 12, 2017
C.B.S. , Newfoundland
Being relatively new to pinball addiction I sometimes wonder if I am loosing my grip on reality! Ha!
I find myself endlessly looking at classifieds for new additions to the fleet! But to ad to this crazy behaviour
I now find myself wanting to change (MOD) my pins! Am I CRAZY! Wife says definitely! Is this normal behaviour? A lot of questions that maybe only therapy can scratch the surface!
So my real question here is “ MOD OR NOT TO MOD” is it worth? What do you think!
Also maybe let me know what you favourite Mod is!?
Thanks Mike

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
its worth it if you enjoy your game more because of it , it's not worth it when you go to sell it , usually you do not recover all your costs , but it does make the game more sellable compared to un moded ones

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I like mods and have them on all my games. The only thing I always make sure is they are not permanent and can be reversed in case I ever sell and next person doesn't like it. It is your games in the end so do what makes you happy like this guy :rolleyes:

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
LEDs are basically the best mod for your money (in my opinion). Less power drain, cooler, bright and flashy.
Petty sure you can recoup most of the cost of a colour dmd.
I have added a Vegas sign to Elvis but the heat did a number on the base after a while. I will be sure to leave more 'meat' on the base.
If they are low cost (Vegas sign was $20) why not.
Stay away from mini screen tron arcade standups (too much buck for the bang). Look neat, but thats all.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
I'll echo others thoughts, much like buying a new home, don't plan on getting your money out of any upgrades you choose to buy. Buy what makes you happy. I'm a no-mods kind of guy but the MET I bought recently has many I don't find offensive at all and I am looking to add a ColorDMD to it if I can get past the $550ish to get one.

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
Mod her up, go nuts and add a few toys.
I wish the price of the color DMDs were a wee bit cheaper but there a plenty of other things to do that are less expensive to spruce her up.

Fleetwood mIkea

Sep 13, 2017
Milton
Love *some* mods but agree not to do anything too permanent.
That being said, I had to stop mwong’s video link above at 2:24 because I just couldn’t take it anymore.....promptly went and hugged my unmodded TZ...

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Friends don't let friends add tacky mods to their games. I say 95% of stuff outside LEDs and color DMD look ridiculous and I certainly wouldn't pay anything extra for it. Stick with functional mods and leave the rest or your game looks like this to the rest of the world:
81f45380f784148c5d688851f4df54de.jpg

Aerostarz

Nov 19, 2012
Whitby
www.flickr.com
I like mods and have them on all my games. The only thing I always make sure is they are not permanent and can be reversed in case I ever sell and next person doesn't like it. It is your games in the end so do what makes you happy like this guy :rolleyes:

Thats insane! I wonder if he is missing any other mods....

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto

What does Jim Morrison have to do with this game?

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
Don't touch the door! I can only assume it is a reference to the band and not the person. I can't believe he gives out his phone number and then tells you that you will have to pay $50 for him to tell you how to wire up the robot mod.

Mike Walsh

Aug 12, 2017
C.B.S. , Newfoundland
IMG_3377.JPG IMG_3378.JPG IMG_3383.JPG Recently acquired a POTC. It already has some really nice mods On the cabinet and the playfield. I added a DIY mod with some prefabricated tentacles, that I painted, to give the Kraken a little boost!

EvanDickson

Aug 8, 2015
Charlottetown
For me, some mods, yes. Cliffies and LED absolutely. Playfield protector if there's any danger of damaging the artwork. Pinsound is an awesome addition if you have access to upgraded sound or don't mind making your own sound track. Colordmd look nice as an observer, but don't add anything to the gameplay or longevity of the machine, so it's not something I'd buy. Zero interest in having toys glued all over the machine though.