• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Lord of the Rings Gimli VUK issue

Haelryan

Oct 2, 2013
CLgary
I am having some difficulties with a recently purchased lotr machine.
1. When the ball enters the gimli vuk on the right side it fails to be recognized, so assuming that is a switch that needs replaced and

2. then when it does the ball search and activates the vuk plunger only about 1 in 6 does the ball actually land on the rail, usually bounces back down. I have tried adjusting the coil power as it seems like its too powerful, but that did nothing.

Any help, comments would be appreciated. Game located in Calgary.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
That's a problem area on this pin for sure.
Stern engineering was (isn't) in the same league as bally williams. The use of a forked switch in that area was 20 year old technology even when LOTR was new. It's a part that gets replaced often. That being said, you may just need to adjust the angle of the switch body under the playfield. If it's tilted too far the wrong way, the forked arm won't actually be able to press down far enough to make it click. Sorry, I don't know your skill level or familiarity with pinball repair, so this is pretty basic stuff. But, in short, switch position can usually be adjusted via a couple of screws to ensure that it "makes" or closes properly with a ball.
Put the game into switch test and press with your finger.... and then always test with an actuall ball as it may not press as far down as a finger. Lastly test the switch from under the playfield as the arm may be bent or broken. And you can investigate for broken or loose wires while you're there.

As for the VUK. Mine used to do the same and many LOTR do as well. Maybe not 6 times but at least once or twice. I played around with various adjustments to the wire forms. Loosen them and bend and push/pull them around until you get a position that produces fewer bounce-outs. Even bending the tines slightly forward towards the player might help.

Maybe others have had success with other methods, but I'd start there.

Good luck!

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I'd also check to make sure that the mech under the PF isn't loose, and maybe check the coil sleeve to make sure that it isn't just crud keeping the mech from moving as smoothly as it should. Does anything else on the game seem underpowered (flippers, other VUKs)?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I'd also check to make sure that the mech under the PF isn't loose, and maybe check the coil sleeve to make sure that it isn't just crud keeping the mech from moving as smoothly as it should. Does anything else on the game seem underpowered (flippers, other VUKs)?

Good tip. I missed that point completely.
Chris is correct in that we often overlook the obvious. A slightly loose mechanism won't fire exactly the same each time. I had a shooter like this on my Shadow. The ball would rattle in the shooter lane wireform 50% of the time. Upon closer inspection under the apron, I noticed the screws were a bit loose... causing the mech to move around and not fire straight all the time. Gently turn the screws to see if there is some play and, of course, make sure the mechanism moves freely with yuor hand. If you feel resistance then you may need to clean it out and change a sleeve or something.

Haelryan

Oct 2, 2013
CLgary
I noticed that when the vuk switch works the ball gets shot up and with the right force and works as it should but when switch doesn't work and system goes into ball search mode the vuk uses too much force and ball kicks back down, after testing confirmed switch is no good, going to replace and update.

Haelryan

Oct 2, 2013
CLgary
Replaced the switch and game is working perfectly again. Thanks for everyone's comments and help, love this community and looking forward to paying it forward.

Reactions: Menace

LOTRbreath

Jan 30, 2016
Alabama
That same switch is also used in the Shire upkicker. I've had to replace both of these more than once. Good idea to keep a spare on hand.

Reactions: Menace