• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

LED's - Love them or hate them

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
The funny thing is that a lot of people put in LED's so they don't have to change out burnt bulbs. 'LED's will last forever' they say. I have replaced more broken LED's then I have burnt out bulbs in the past five years.

Anyways I personally dislike LED's. I prefer the warmth of bulbs which I still have not seen duplicated in LED's. Getting closer but still not there. I also hate the strobe effect you get. Especially with a lot of white inserts on the playfield. You end up losing sight of the ball as it passes through the inserts. As a player this is a huge problem. Plus sometimes its so bad I'll end up with a headache. Not often but it has happened a couple times. Especially on Sean's TOTAN. It was blinding and unplayable for me.

I had a TOM that I bought a Cointaker kit for about 4 years ago. What a mistake. It destroyed the playability and beauty of that game.

It also seems like a waste of money. An extra ~$300-$350 that you will never get back in re-sale. A waste of cash just to make a game look good in attract mode. Who you going to attract in your own home anyways. To each their own though.

The best uses for LED's are on older game with back glasses to help prevent peeling.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Slam_Tilt said:
The best uses for LED's are on older game with back glasses to help prevent peeling.

How are you finding the LEDs in your EBD? I remember when I saw that game two years ago it gave me a headache too :lol:

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
mwong168 said:
Slam_Tilt said:

How are you finding the LEDs in your EBD? I remember when I saw that game two years ago it gave me a headache too :lol:

Actually not too bad. Not bad enough that I have to have them removed right away. The inserts on the playfield are an opaque white not a clear so it is more of a warm color than blinding. If I decide that its staying for quite a while then I may decide to remove them.

The LOTR I got a little while ago I had to quickly remove the LED's from the middle playfield inserts, especially the Fellowship inserts. I still need to do a tear down on that game to put in some protectors and give it a nice clean and wax. When I do that I will be removing all the LED's.

I am building up a nice pile of LED's from all the games I removed them from.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Slam_Tilt said:
I prefer the warmth of bulbs which I still have not seen duplicated in LED's. Getting closer but still not there.

The LED's that go in our current games will never get there. (see my post above) Only way this will happen is if a machine is specifically designed around using LED's as the ONLY source of lighting, and it's designed correctly. (incandescents and LED's require two completely different designs to work correctly)

D

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
There should be a "used led marketplace" here. It's better then piles of unwanted LEDs in boxes.

I think centaur would be awesome with bright colour matched LEDs under the inserts. Never played the game in real life, only on iPad. But it just looks like it would be amazing with the black and white art

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Luckydogg420 said:
I think centaur would be awesome with bright colour matched LEDs under the inserts. Never played the game in real life, only on iPad. But it just looks like it would be amazing with the black and white art

Doesn't need them, with my minty fresh CC CPR PF the inserts are super bright once you replace all the crappy sockets.

Now if I could just get that last issue fixed I could actually play it :FP:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Vengeance said:
...with my minty fresh CC CPR PF the inserts are super bright once you replace all the crappy sockets.

This brings up an interesting point.
A lot of people complain about incandescents being dim... while most people never take the time to dip a Q-tip in some rubbing alcohol and clean the underside of their inserts. It's a small task that will take you maybe an hour at most and you won't beleive the amount of crabon dust that accumaltes on the back of inserts and blocks the amount of light coming through. The same applies to your bulbs. They attract carbon particles coming off the coils and get dirty and dim.

Clean both of these and you will see a huge improvement in how your game looks, without have to drop in ultra-bright LEDs.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
DRANO said:
This brings up an interesting point.
A lot of people complain about incandescents being dim... while most people never take the time to dip a Q-tip in some rubbing alcohol and clean the underside of their inserts. It's a small task that will take you maybe an hour at most and you won't beleive the amount of crabon dust that accumaltes on the back of inserts and blocks the amount of light coming through. The same applies to your bulbs. They attract carbon particles coming off the coils and get dirty and dim.

Clean both of these and you will see a huge improvement in how your game looks, without have to drop in ultra-bright LEDs.

I use the air can method.. which probably makes a lot of people cringe I'm sure, but it works for me. :)

You're right though, cleaning the inserts makes a WORLD of difference.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK7G_H7uXfY[/youtube]

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I use an air compressor, then I'm just blowing the dust off.

Much better solution that that crap solution of using basically freeze spray to remove dirt from your inserts

REVOLUTION said:
I use the air can method.. which probably makes a lot of people cringe I'm sure, but it works for me. :)

You're right though, cleaning the inserts makes a WORLD of difference.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK7G_H7uXfY[/youtube]

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
I'd totally buy up unwanted LED's. I will just be using them judiciously in my machines as well. Too much can be way too overwhelming.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
My concern with the air can is temperature.
It can get pretty cold and, if you're not careful, you could cause fast compression of the plastic and surrounding wood... leading to hairline cracks around the inserts. Maybe I'm being overly cautious.
Also, air alone won't get them as clean as a quick rub with some alcohol... but I guess it's okay in a pinch.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
REVOLUTION said:

Sure it cleans the insert but the spill over dirt residue gets stained under the playfield which is even harder to clean or get rid afterwards. I know, I know you don't play the bottom of the playfield but is that why your old STTNG is so fucking filthy underneath you "talentless hack"? You must just enjoy the fumes :p

Actually I would be more concerned about the point Adriano brought up that could leading to the insert cracking from the rapid temperature changes. Anyways, q-tip and alcohol is what I have used in the past. I might try denatured alcohol next time which is what Bryan Kelly uses as it cleans, degreases and evaporates quickly leaving no residue.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
mwong168 said:
I might try denatured alcohol next time which is what Bryan Kelly uses as it cleans, degreases and evaporates quickly leaving no residue.

Good luck trying to find it in Canada.
It's basically Ethanol, but it has been scarce for a while. You can get Methyl Hydrate (wood alcohol), which is similar... but not quite the same.

Apparently DNA is also great for removing sharpie from your IDC connectors too :)
I'm a chemical junkie. Always trying to find the best product for the job, so I've done a little homework on this.
If you cannot find Denatured Alcohol here in Canada, try a local marine supply and look for Captain PHAB Marine Alcohol. It's 90% etahnol.

If you wanna try Methyl Hydrate:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en

Now, back to LEDs....... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
mwong168 said:
Sure it cleans the insert but the spill over dirt residue gets stained under the playfield which is even harder to clean or get rid afterwards. I know, I know you don't play the bottom of the playfield but is that why your old STTNG is so fucking filthy underneath you "talentless hack"? You must just enjoy the fumes :p

Meh.. you don't play the bottom of the playfield. :p

Also you don't hold your finger on the trigger for very long. Just quick bursts. Works great for me, I've done several games with it and have never had problems. *shrugs*

As I said, to each their own.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I'll have to try that alcohol trick to clean out the underside of the inserts on some of my games-I know my TZ could probably use it. The top is pretty clean, but underneath it's full of crud. Lots of carbon dust, to the point that it looks like I've been working on an engine if I have to change anything out. At least the subways got cleaned though-it's really the wiring harness that's holding most of the crap at this point.