• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Lastest from Stern on LEDs and future game versions

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So does this mean that all future LEDs will be board mounted? I suppose socketed LED bulbs don't make much sense for inserts if you can save on having to put the sockets there in the first place, but it does suck if one of those LEDs dies. They last a whole lot longer, sure, but not forever...

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
All LED bulbs from Stern would be PCB mounted for sure, and yes replacing the actual LED on the PCB would be a pain without the correct tools but I'm sure you'll be able to get replacements from Stern without too much trouble and cost. I would be surprised if Stern didn't send out replacements to customers for free given the MTBF for LED's. They should outlast the lifespan of a machine, although we all know LED's have been know to fail prematurely.

D

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Menace said:
All LED bulbs from Stern would be PCB mounted for sure, and yes replacing the actual LED on the PCB would be a pain without the correct tools but I'm sure you'll be able to get replacements from Stern without too much trouble and cost.

I dunno about the cost part, I *believe* they're $15 each + shipping. Nothing from Stern is cheap :(

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
The $15 price tag doesn't actually surprise me being Stern and all, but if they are touting one of the reasons to move to LED being MTBF (longevity) they should be replacing any and all LED failures for free for the life of each pin they sell with them.

If the user wanted to change the stock LED out for another colour, then sure $15 each all day long. (which is still absurd as Stern's cost per board with LED installed will be under $1 each, and if they claim anything different they are lying to you...)

D