• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

jungle lord: flipper issue

Rob brown

Apr 23, 2015
Owen sound
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can help me (a novice) diagnose an issue I'm having with my Pinball Machine. I have a Jungle Lord and the top and bottom left flippers stopped working. I tried replacing the fuses and checking for loose wires but that's about as far as I know what to do with it. Pressing the diagnostic buttons on the board and running the test mode didn't find anything interesting.

Previously the score display went and I replaced it with a rotten dog led display and pulled the high voltage fuse. It worked but shortly after the machine kinda froze and my left flippers stopped working. The machine no longer has any issues freezing but the flippers are still not working. Occasionally when I turn the machine on they work for a second or two but quickly stop working after.

I have a multi-meter but honestly haven't used it for much other than checking the powers off before doing electrical work. I couldn't really find a similar issue on this machine on google to find new things to try. Any hints would be appreciated! For now I'm getting good at playing pinball with the right flippers only lol

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Using the schematics (available on ipdb.org):

1- check the left flipper button switch to ensure the 3 contact blades make good contact when the left flipper button is activated
2- ensure the connector 7P1/7J1 in the cabinet, that connects to the left and right flipper button switches, is nice and tight
3- ensure connector 2P12 on the driver board is making good contact (pin 2 is the important pin in that connector for the left flipper activation)
4- check connector 8P3/8J3 (possibly under the playfield) for good, positive contact
5- as usual, ensure the flippers' end of stroke (EOS) switches are properly closed and making good pressure/contact with flippers at rest, and open with the flippers activated. The EOS switches are located under the playfield on the flipper assemblies, and are activated by the flipper pawl/crank.
6- Make sure wires are not broken off at a coil's lug under the playfield, that could interrupt another coil downstream
7- if all the above checks did not help, the Z1 flipper enable relay might have cold solder joints under the board, or connector 2J12 - or a dirty contact inside the relay for the left flippers enabling.

Good luck!
-Sylvain.

Last edited:
Reactions: atariaction

Rob brown

Apr 23, 2015
Owen sound
Thanks for that! It was good practice navigating through schematics. I didn't know where to start before but it is getting at least a bit more familiar now with where everything is. I finally had some time to try out your steps (at least 1-6) . What happened was the flipper kind of moved slightly when the game started but still nothing after that. Also I don't know if it is related but I blew the solenoid fuse (have plenty of spares though) .

I'm going to look up spotting and repairing cold solder joints, and how to clean connectors. Is the Z1 flipper enable relay something on the board? I had trouble finding it.

Thanks again for the help!

Rob

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Z1 flipper enable relay is on the driver board. See attached picture, circled in red.

Attachments

• JL.jpg
    JL.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 13

Rob brown

Apr 23, 2015
Owen sound
I know this is an old thread but I finally gave it another try after giving up along time ago. I think I found the issue. There's one wire on the board that gives power to the left flipper. If I push and move it around with some force the flippers work. the pin was a little black so I tried cleaning the pin but it didn't help. Should I replace this connector? I'm a little stuck because i'm not sure what it is called or how to rewire it properly. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks Sylvain I wouldn't have found the right wire without your help!

picture1.PNG picture2.PNG picture3.PNG picture4.PNG