• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Issues with TSPP Sound and DMD

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
So, every since I got my TSPP, when I turned it on, and you get "The Simpsons Pinball Party" title screen on the DMD, the middle line would be wavy in motion. Wasn't sure if thats the way it was supposed to look, and didn't bother me that much so let it be. Recently, when I would turn on the pin, I would get a bing from the sound. Start up a game, and sporadically the music would start right away. Other times, not until I launched a ball and started getting points.

Then last week, the DMD really started going crazy (pic attached). So just now, I decided to make sure all wires were on tight, pulled the rom off the back of the DMD and like the dumbass I am, put it in backwards. Naturally not realizing until I turned on the machine and now the DMD is completely blank. Turned it off right away, put the chip back in the way it's supposed to be. Still same result, completely black.

You guys think it's shot?? Won't be the end of the world, I'd just be forced to get a colour DMD and put it in my LOTR and take the one from LOTR and put it in my TSPP.

Reg

Attachments

• 690.JPG
    690.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 638

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Likely a blown fuse causing the blank DMD... As for your pic it seems like it's outgassing? If you've got any other DMD games you can always swap a known good one in to test and vise versa.

D

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Thanks for the response! Well, checked all fuses, all seem ok. Swapped out the DMD and put in the one from my LOTR LE....still nothing. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Whoops... I missed the part where you installed the ROM backwards. (thought you installed the cable backwards) Dave is correct, ROM in backwards she's toast.

D

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Hi Dave, PM sent.

Maybe an even bigger problem!!! I just re-installed the one from the LOTR back in. Now that ones burnt out too. Could the TSPP be frying them for whatever reason??

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Doh! Put a connector on backwards. LOTR back up and running! LMAO.

I really need to start taking pictures before I do ANYTHING. Apparently my memory isn't very good. How embarassing! :FP:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Bigbossfan said:
Doh! Put a connector on backwards. LOTR back up and running! LMAO.

Did you check and make sure you didn't put a connector on backwards on TSPP? :D

Just kidding, I'm sure you borked your ROM chip and good thing Dave is around the corner from you in Collingwood. I'm sure he is enjoy what might be the last day on the slopes at Blue today.

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Well it wasn't the chip. Put the new one in. Same issue. Doesn't look like power is getting to the board. There's a little red light that should stay on, but it doesn't light up. Fuse is fine. Cables are fine.

Any suggestions folks??

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Already working on him! Update.....I decided to put the DMD from TSPP into LOTR (don't know why I didn't try this initially!)....When I powered on the LOTR, the fuses on the MB (R14, R15, R16, R17), the little light started flashing off and on, but DMD didn't fire up. Switched it off right away to make sure I didn't cause any damage.

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Well, my buddy was over yesterday who did some trouble-shooting, and figures he narrowed it down to the right pin (by J3) in the pic below. When using the continuity tester, at certain points on the pin when contact was made, it would light the LED on the board and other points nothing. Tried reflowing the solder, but no luck.

Any suggestions from other seasoned technically knoweledgeable folks out there??

Reg

Attachments

• Display Board.JPG
    Display Board.JPG
    330.5 KB · Views: 481

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Big thanks to Dave Astill. He saved me yet again.

Was a combination of issues. Bad display, high voltage wasn't getting to the board etc etc. But Dave got 'er all figured out!