• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

How to Setup Visual Pinball and PinMAME

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
6192255365_1c178aa7fd_o.png

If you love pinball like me and are passionate about it you will enjoy it in any shape or form it comes in. As some of you might have already noticed I am a huge MAME fanboy and anytime some asks for help like Superman I will always come to your rescue :D Some of you have already seen or read through my pinmame cab build (http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7905) which I documented back in 2009. I have since traded my original PinMAME cab away and started a P2K style which I will post up the details once I get around to organizing the pics I took and documenting what I did.

Here is a quick write up now and show you how you can enjoy some of these amazing recreations in your desktop computer at home or when your boss is not looking on your work computer too! :twisted:

PinMAME is a great way for you to try out a table and get a "general" idea of flow, rules, dots, music, animations, etc... and you don't need a dedicated full sized cab like me to try it as this guide will work on any PC running Windows. Unlike MAME where you can pretty much emulate a game like Pac Man using the proper hardware controls (4 way stick versus using an 8 way) or even outputting from PC to an arcade monitor at the proper resolution and refresh rates. There is a difference and had some heated debates with some hardcore enthusiasts over the years on KLOV who are anti-MAME. Now my answer to them is PINBALL > VIDS :lol:

Anyways, let's get started and head over to the VP forums site --> http://www.vpforums.org <-- First off let me clear something and my guide will get you up and running in 5 minutes if you are a site subscriber. The VP community is a free one and as a free member it will allow you to download up to 5 files a day. Since setting up VP requires you to download 5 different files you will not be able to download a table or rom until 24 hours. It's only $10/year to be a silver member and that will allow you to have unlimited downloads so I highly recommend paying as you will get your money back 10 folds and get to enjoy many tables you would never get to see or play in real life.

6192432758_cafd3f1d5a.jpg

Once you are on the site click on the Getting Started section on the top left and you will need to download the following files:

VP 9.1.2 FULL INSTALL --> VPinball912_Full.zip
VPinMAME 2.4 --> vpinmame_24.zip
VB Scripts --> VPVBS3_32_1.zip
Sound Samples --> s3250u3.zip
VP Fonts --> vpfonts.zip

Note: I'm not going to be hand holding and going to assume you have some basic knowledge of using windows explorer to copy files and know how to unzip files and how to locate where you unzipped it.

Once you have all that downloaded, extract VPinball912_Full.zip to a temporary location so you can run the setup.

It's pretty straight forward so follow through the wizard till the very end and the only thing you might want to change part way through is where Visual Pinball is installed on your computer. I prefer it on the root of C drive but as long as you are consistent with the later part of your setup it doesn't really matter. For the rest of this guide I will be referencing "C:\Visual Pinball"

6192425302_60dbc20120_z.jpg

Once Visual Pinball has been installed successfully you will then need to unzip the PinMAME file vpinmame_24.zip to C:\Visual Pinball.

6192425306_8eff69b575_b.jpg

Then using windows explorer go to C:\Visual Pinball folder and run setup.exe to be presented with the following options. Click on Install to start installing PinMAME.

6192425316_a48ab3e1b5_z.jpg

Just follow through the wizard and splash screens until you get to this point and just verify that the file location paths are consistent to where you have Visual Pinball installed. You can change locations to where you store ROMS or tables in another location on your hard drive but to keep things simple let's leave it on defaults as they don't take up much space anyways. Click OK to proceed.

6192425324_292078d309_z.jpg

This screen here allows you to specify some options such as DMD color, sound sample rates and even if you want to skip the start up tests. Click OK to proceed.

6192425328_1f7e71ff46_z.jpg

Once PinMAME has been installed successfully you will need to copy the Sound Samples file s3250u3.zip into the C:\Visual Pinball\Samples folder. Do not unzip this file as it needs to stay in zipped format.

6192426634_40f75c54a9_b.jpg

Then you need to unzip the VB Scripts file VPVBS3_32_1.zip into the C:\Visual Pinball\Tables folder.

6192426638_685023b1e7_b.jpg

Almost there, the last thing that you need to do is unzip the VP Fonts file vpfonts.zip into your Windows fonts folder which is usually "C:\Windows\Fonts". You might not be able to unzip directly into fonts folder, so you might want to unzip to a temp folder and do a manual copy and paste of all the fonts.

6192426648_01312497be_b.jpg

Visual Pinball and PinMAME have now been installed and setup on your system. Let's go download a table! There are different types of tables available:

1. Full screen, which is designed for cabinet users but can be played on desktop computers if neck cramps are your best friend or else you can just turn your monitor sideways ;)

2. Spanned, don't bother as these are no longer supported by the latest version of VP and only works in XP.

3. Desktop, this is what you will want if you are reading this guide.

I just wanted to clarify so you don't get frustrated thinking you did something wrong cause the table is oriented wrong when in fact you downloaded the wrong version. Also want you will want to download VP9 or VP91x tables since this guide is using version 9.12 with alpha ramp transparency and flashers. Some older tables have not been updated or ported over to VP9 however you can load VP8 tables in VP9 but it might not play or display properly. If you need help and want to get VP8 running on your computer just send me a message and I'll guide you in the right direction.

Let's locate the latest release from jpsalas and download his Congo table, if you didn't subscribe to VP forums come back in 24 hours :lol:

6192432756_39bd6963c9_b.jpg

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?automodule=downloads&req=idx&cmd=viewdetail&f_id=5950

After you have downloaded the table you need to unzip it to the C:\Visual Pinball\Tables folder

6192426654_032701ef92_b.jpg

Hold on, you are not done yet! Need to download the table ROM which you can either search for or else you can go to the ROMS section here:
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?a...letter=all&sort_key=f_name&sort_by=A-Z&pp=100

In order for Congo to work you will need to download the congo_21.zip file and then you will need to copy it to C:\Visual Pinball\Roms folder. Again leave all ROMs for any table zipped.

6192426652_cb86f69ef2_b.jpg

Almost there... Now go to your C:\Visual Pinball folder and run VPinball912.exe

6192426660_da9c91292b_z.jpg

Before we load the table you will want to verify a few environment settings such as display settings. If you have a good system and decent video card you will want to check off Hardware Device Rendering so the table will look much nicer. If you notice a bit of ball choppiness you can slide the Alpha Ramp Accuracy over to the left until it plays nicely on your system.

6191912137_6de938aaf0_b.jpg

If you are having problems getting the table to run and get an error that says something about "Can not create off screen surface" like this:

6192093335_03a7fea5f4_z.jpg

Then you can try to change your Max Texture Dimension from Unlimited to 1024 and try loading the table again. If it still doesn't load then you are shit out of luck and need a better video card.

Now the moment of truth, go to File menu and open the Congo table. Then go to the Table menu and click on Play

6191912145_990b82737c_b.jpg

Whenever you load a table for the very first time you will get this disclaimer, so just check off that you agree and it will never come up again for that game.

6191912147_72e1e444c2_b.jpg

Once the table is loaded up successfully your screen should look something like this. My system here at work is not geared towards gaming so I just have on-board ATI chipset graphics so you can see how grainy the ramp looks here because I didn't have hardware device rendering checked off cause the table probably won't load. It's still playable and if your system can handle it only look more stunning.

6191912151_bdf5839a53_b.jpg

You can use your mouse to drag the DMD to the apron or in corners where it won't obstruct game play. If you want to make the DMD a bit bigger right click on the DMD and select Show Window Border. You can now use the mouse to stretch the DMD in both directions so size it to whatever looks best to you.

6192645530_ccc0dae6d7.jpg

6192645842_035992b8f6.jpg

When loading a table for the first time and if the DMD just keeps cycling through FACTORY SETTINGS RESTORED and BOOKKEEPING TOTALS CLEARED. It means the batteries in your computer have corroded!

6191912151_bdf5839a53_b.jpg

Stop, don't start running for the door and your car... just kidding. The reason why the table is stuck is because Visual Pinball had to create an NVRAM file for that table. To fix this hit the ESC key and Quit to Editor, run the table again and you will see it starts up like a real pinball machine would with the "bong" sound.

6191912159_6c8816f7ca_b.jpg

Hang on a sec, I can't hear anything or it is very quiet. When the table has loaded successfully hit the END key to open the coin door and the 8 key decreases and 9 key increases the volume.

6191914681_a575d6da8d_b.jpg

6191914683_171be6113f_b.jpg

Some other games like Sterns might be the reverse for volume up and down and DE/Gotlieb games you have to adjust the volume another way since they used analogue pots for adjustments. I'll document that later and add it to this guide as someone in the VP community just discovered how to do it.

I created this step by step guide and not much has changed and they just recently release VP 9.14. If you are trying to build a cab there are also B2S tables which mean they have an active or interactive backglass for games such as Scared Stiff or Cirqus Voltaire. The original active backglass solution is called UVP which is still used but can cause serious ball stutter if your system is not up to par and if there is a B2S version available of the table you like I would recommend using that instead as it doesn't have the same impact on performance from what I experienced.

The VPforums has also had a recently over haul so the site is structured and organized differently now but you should still be able to find the files required above to get this up and running on your desktop. If you are on using an Apple this guide will not work because iTunes said so :twisted:

Feel free to PM or post here if you have a problem and I will do my best to answer and help cause it might benefit others who might have the same problem as you trying to set this up or missed a critical step.

-Mike

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Update and tweaks for certain tables:

When I say press certain keys I am assuming you have not changed the default VP keys.

Left Flipper = left shift key
Right Flipper = right shift key
Open Coin Door = 0
Volume Down = 8
Volume Up = 9
Select = 7

For Gottlieb tables, you may notice when you hit the '5' key to credit up nothing happens even though you hear the coin dropping. Here is what you need to do in order to enable credits if you can't find a working NVRAM file for it.

1. Load the table and wait for it to go through the self test and it will say Game Over when done.
2. Press 7, wait for it to show you the menu with bookkeeping, adjustments, selftest, etc
3. Press left flipper 3 times to move the highlight to adjustments
4. Press right flipper to select that option
5. Press 1, Press 1 and then quit the table and reload

Your NVRAM file is now set to accept coins for all Gottlieb tables.

For some older 80s table recreations such as DE Time Machine you can not increase or decrease the volume like you do with the later BW DMD games by opening the coin door and hitting the + or - key. To adjust the volume or make the music and effects for these older tables do the following:

1. Click on the DMD window with the mouse
2. Press the tilde (~) key. This will bring up a white box inside the DMD window.
3. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see YM2151 #0 Ch.1 in the white box.
4. Using the left and right arrow keys, adjust the channel volume. Using the left arrow key will lower the channel volume, the right arrow key will raise the channel volume.
5. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see YM2151 #0 Ch.2 in the white box.
6. Repeat step 4 to adjust the channel volume
7. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see MSM5295 #0 (voice 0) in the white box.
8. Repeat step 4 to adjust the volume of that channel
9. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see MSM5295 #0 (voice 1) in the white box.
10. Repeat step 4 to adjust the volume of that channel
11. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see MSM5295 #0 (voice 2) in the white box.
12. Repeat step 4 to adjust the volume of that channel
13. Using the up and down arrow keys, scroll through the options in the white box until you see MSM5295 #0 (voice 3) in the white box.
14. Repeat step 4 to adjust the volume of that channel
15. Press the tilde key (~) to close the white box
16. Click anywhere on the table to return focus to the table.

Once again any problems feel free to send me PM

-Mike

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Thanks for posting this Mike. You just saved yourself 463 questions from me alone. I have to re-read this many times before I will get it all.
I think the PinMAME for me will be deep in 2013, or 2014 when you will be on Ver.3 by then.

tim.sanderson

I'm going to go through this tutorial when I get home tonight. I've tried several times to set up one of the emulators, but can never get it figured out. I think my biggest issues was trying to figure out the paths, and what/where to put the ROMs. Hopefully this one will let me get it up and working!

tim.sanderson

Damn fine tutorial! It actually answered many of my questions. However, I still had some problems. (My problem may be I had previous versions of other VP/PM etc. Maybe it's muddying things up? Also, the one I D/L'd seems to be a slightly newer version... VPinball912_Full.zip ... could that be an issue? It seems to me a more current version shouldn't hurt things, but then again , that's coming from a guy who can't figure out how to get pinball on his computer.

I think I set up everything the way you did, downloaded the same version of Congo and everything, but get a LINE 64 error.
**CLICK TO SEE ENTIRE IMAGE**

There's also a big nasty text file that was generated, but to me, it may as well been written in Japanese. (for the record I can read Japanese) Have you ever seen that error, Mike? It sounds like it's a path issue, but I'm 99.9% sure I put everything in it's right place.

I don't think it's a hardware thing... this is a computer I built to play Far Cry 2 last year. It's no monster by today's settings, but I can play FC2 on the highest quality settings.

I'm going to try an uninstall and clean up of anything emulator related, and try going through the tutorial again.

If it makes sense to you, here's the text file:

Thanks!

tim.sanderson

I made a little progress, but not much. I still can't load ROMs like Congo, or the AfM I D/L'd today. I can however, get the 2 demo games to run: Top Speed & Tutorial.
When I try to load AfM, I get this error:

I know I'm missing something, I just can't figure out what...
I even D/L'd the files it says it's missing, from a site online. I just don't know where to put them. (I'm not even sure if that'll do anything)

Sort of frustrating. I'm not the kind of guy that has trouble setting up something like this! :(

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Hi Tim,

Sorry I missed your posts earlier and it looks like for AFM you might have the incorrect rom downloaded and that error or Game Info dialogue box you are getting tells you exactly what rom the table is looking for and in this case it is afm_113b. There are often multiple version of a games rom available and usually I pick the version that has the most downloads or else the error window will tell you the exact file name.

In regards to my guide, uninstall everything and start from the beginning again. If you are not having any luck we can do a join.me remote session and I can help you get things up and running.

-Mike

paulohotline

May 12, 2013
Winnipeg
www.facebook.com
Hey now, I love VP and PinMame and have been playing for years! I check www.vpforums.org for new tables all the time. Eventually I am going to purchase a cabinet from Virtuapin.net, just waiting for them to incorporate 3D like this before I buy (trust me boys this will blow your mind, 3D without the glasses using head tracking tech)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnYGz-XCKRs

As well, I want Pinball Arcade to release on steam and be compatible with this cabinet. I have been in touch with the company, we should do a group buy if you guys are interested and see If I can knock down the price even more on the 42" widebody edition!

I haveI have been playing Future Pinball tables with TrackIR tech for over a year now and really like the effect of being able to zoom in and out of the table while playing just by using your noggin. Check out the amazing update to the Star Trek - The Next Generation (20th Anniversary Edition) and my vid with TrackIR and an XBOX360 controller. I have it set to vibrate every time I use the flippers or nudge. I use an app called Pinnacle to use an XBOX controller for Futurepinball and Visual Mame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne5AQhhKuiM

Nightmare on elm street future pin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GYyNH3N ... g&index=18

Jurassic Park Future Pinball with Track IR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_JPRQmw ... g&index=21

Future Pinball - Tron Legacy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOcb_5I7 ... g&index=30

Get the STTNG table here:
http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/tabl...rsary_edition)