• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

HOUDINI or JPOP, who's the real escape artist?

Would you still order any machine that JPOP is affiiated with?

• Hell yeah! I wasn't burned on the last 3 projects and I'm a raging JPOP fanboy

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Nope! JPOP/Zidware, American Pinball can go eat a bag of......

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Wait, this isn't a TOM For Sale thread.... what am I doing here?

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
The game will have more then enough depth for those who want it, and I feel confident that the guys who really like strategy and well as the challenge of making shots will be happy as well. So, a not so quick overview of the rules.

The goal is to spell HOUDINI, which will get you to the ultimate Magicians Mode, which is a seven ball MB (e.g. one for each letter). Earning a Houdini letter requires . . .

1) Scoring a jackpot on Seance Multiball, which Like Seance itself, is pretty easy to achieve without much skill, other then just keeping the balls in play long enough to hit the seance stand-up targets, off course once in multiball, you suddenly start making the shots, and not hitting the stand-ups.

2) secret missions. It is alleged Houdini was a spy, so we incorporated that with secret missions delivered via morse code (don't worry we translate for you). Secret missions are combo shots, you have one active at a time, and once it is completed, you can then hit the needed shot to start the next. The next shot needed in the combo is always brightly lit with a bright pink/purple indicator (color subject to change, now that we can actually see the colors), that will reset, once you hit a shot that ends the combo and puts you back to the start. At TPF this was a little harder then it should be, since I had yet to yet refine which switch hits could kill the combo and force you back to shot 1. Each combo gets a little harder, and you do have to restart the current mission on each ball, but something I may change. Complete all five and get a mini-magician mode.

3) Jail Escapes. One of the ways Houdini marketed/promoted himself was to have the local police chain, handcuff and throw him in a jail cell, from which he would escape. These jail escapes are now a set of five hurry ups. You spell escape via a set of stand-up targets, you then shoot the jail to start the hurry up, these start easy and get harder, and the values go up accordingly. After you have attempted all five, you go back through the ones you have not yet completed. Oh, each hurry up takes place in a different city and I did take a liberty in including London, even though the London police never allowed it, they did not want to be publicly embarrassed. Complete all five and you get a mini-magican mode.

4) The Main Stage -- this is where the primary modes get started. I have plans for 10 modes that start at the stage. These represent his most famous tricks, illusions and escapes. Four of the modes were available at TPF, including Straitjacket multiball. When I was thinking about what kind of a mode to do for straightjacket, it was clear from looking at him in one, that it has to be reversed flippers, since most folks play reversed by crossing their arms, just like in a straitjacket, But since it was him doing it dangling upside down from a rope that drew attention to his skill in doing so, I needed to incorporate that, and that is how my thinking evolved into given the player the choice between normal (reversed flippers), and 'hanging' which has both reverse and inverted flippers. I think everyone here knows what reversed flippers are, inverted is when the flippers are normally up, and you drop them down by hitting the flipper buttons, so you have to play it by holding the buttons in, and then releasing to shoot. I believe Epthegeek was the first to do this 'inverted flipper' thing, via one of his party modes on CCC, so I want to thank Eric for the idea, as it works so well with our theme. Since I've given Eric help with his projects, I felt okay 'borrowing' it from him. You need to start all 10 modes to get a letter (although chance I'll change that to only require a portion of them, but making doing the mall have value).

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
The main stage is opened by hitting the 'key target' once cleanly, through 'Key Lane', which is a shot through the bumpers, you can also open it by hitting that target a couple of times off the pops (which typically happens if you get a slow roller that exits the ramp half way). or you can just bang the front of the stage a few times to open it. The stage has a curtain that opens to the side, and once the ball is shot on to the stage, the curtain can close and we can make the ball disappear and even reappear. If you enter the stage via 'stage alley' a different shot through the pops than Key Lane, the illusion/escape at the stage will double in value. The two shots through the bumpers are things we will be tweaking, since they are not flowing as intended. I am not going to talk through all 10 modes, but i will say one will be a video mode, with such a nice display, how do we not do one (it was also one of just a few requests Joe had, and you got to keep the designer happy).

5) Movie modes -- Houdini has a star on the hollywood walk of fame, not for being an escape artist or illusionist but for being a movie star during the days of silent movies. Now I will say, that of the five movies he did, only one is worth watching and that is The Grim Game, which up until a few years ago it was thought lost, but Turner Classic Movies found a copy in a private collection and restored it. Anyhow, we will have a mode for each of his five movies, one of which was on the machine at TPF (although with really crappy temporary animations). that mode features 'Q the automaton', which was the first robot to ever appear in a motion picture. The term robot, did not yet exist, and came along about a year later. You need to 'experience' all five movies to earn a letter. I also plan a mini-magician mode associated with doing all five. Oh, you light movie modes by completing FILM at the flipper lanes.

6) Trunk Multiball -- Lock three balls in the trunk and off you go. Pretty basic rules within the multiball , but does include needing to get a ball back in the trunk to get the super jackpot. This is really the type of thing you would want to use to stack with other modes, since it is fed off that tight shot, so makes it easier to get a mode going before starting it (although then tricky to actually quickly hit the shot to start it). Trunk multiball does have a great feature relative to how you lock the lock balls in the trunk, which is done via a catapult that throws the ball over 20 inches in the air, with no wire form, etc. I have now seen it happen a couple of hundred times, and I still feel a thrill every time I see it. I don't think I saw it miss more than once at TPF. Watching the reaction of awe and disbelief when folks witnessed it was great. What is kind of cool is you first have to enable it, then a diverter feeds a vuk that feeds the catapult, which then opens the trunk before firing, so there is this great anticipation as the rube goldberg like sequence plays out. Sometimes the ball will lock, and sometimes it feeds a second catapult that will throw the ball back to the player via wireform, or in some modes, it will just hold it there for later use. If it would miss, it would just fall back into play and he lock would remain lit.

7) The magic shop -- this is your classic mystery award. Hit the spinner enough times and the shop opens, go inside to get your award, collect enough and get a Houdini letter.

One key feature not tied to a Houdini letter, is the 'milkcan multiplier'. The milkcan shot is a challenging shot to the lower left side, that is a small loop that feeds right back to the left inlane. A pretty cool shot. Shooting that and then immediately shooting the ramp, will advance the playfield multiplier up to as much as 4X. When making the shot, if you can hit the ramp quickly enough a second time, you can move up two levels off the one shot to the milkcan. There is a separate timer on screen to show how much time you have left at that multiplier level and there will be a way to add more time, but of course you can alway do the sequence again to move up a level. If you combing this 4x, with the 2x method of starting a mode, you can see how you can really generate big points.

oh, speaking of points, given the timeframe when Houdini lived, we felt lower scoring was in order. I decide that the BS of a digit that is never anything that zero and was done to make players feel like the were better than before, needed to go away for this machine, so this games brings back changes to that first digit (I know EM guys are rejoicing). I did have one person at TPF say they really like the zero, even though they understand it is meaningless, it is about relative scoring. I did joke that I would add an option to make it a zero, not change scoring, just take away up to the 9 points that digit could represent. Houdini scoring will be low, but, not as low as what was seen at TPF (although score would have been higher if more folks started modes at the stage). Now that I can play the game, I will be a in a better position to set the scoring and get it to the right levels and right balance. I actually change a few things during TPF. Regardless, scoring in the millions will be a considered a great score. I do plan to show you how your score ranked among the last 100 games played, so you will always have a good sense at the end of how you did. I already show how long your game actually was.

The game does have a subway, that has multiple entrance points, that then exits at the far right scoop. There is also a three ball lock on the left side. I believe there are eight places I can either hold or make a ball disappear, and the ball can come back into play from a few different places as well. Where the ball comes from is not easily predictable, and that is of course a big part of magic, the element of misdirection and surprise.

That is not quite everything, but that should answer the question about the depth and style of the game. I'd ask for thoughts, but not like I really need to ask, do I? I'm sure some of you are going to be drooling at the mouth and others are thinking "I'd rather just hit the same shot over and over again to get a multiball". So, like every other game, not everyone will love this game, but there will plenty who will.

Shows -- we want to get the machine out to shows. Joe and I talked quite a bit about that on our way home yesterday. Our goal is to get the game out to different parts of the country and we hope as we sign on distributors, that will be easier to make happen. As we figure this out, we will let you guys know. It was not something we have given a tremendous amount of thought and planning to, given what our priorities are.

Distributors -- we just signed on Jolly, the guy who will handle distribution. So, while I know many, many distributors are interested, we have not signed on any at this time and I can't speak to what the plans are. I had never met Jolly before, but I've heard from many sources, he is a great guy and is well know among distributors. We will not be selling direct, or taking pre-orders or pre-order money (obviously distributors may be taking deposits, etc when the time comes). However, if you want to been kept in the loop and get updates around that, you can to go our website (I've been told) to give us your info. We will certainly be looking at having distributors in different parts of the world. Houdini was known around the world, and we would like to see the whole word enjoy it. However, right now I anticipate there will be very little support for languages other than English.

Versions, there will be only one version of Houdini, but there could be a few optional 'add-on' features. I don't see how you can remove key features of the game to create a different model, but there is certainly some 'bling' things that not everyone wants, for example toppers, so I anticipate there would be a handful of optional add-ons -- but these are not things that change game play. We do not have any kind of a list of what these things might be. I have to say that one of the things that surprised me, was when I was frequently asked the question of how many models there would be, and when I responded 'one', that I then got the same response, pretty much every time, something along the lines of "thats great, I don't like this multiple model stuff". Having said all of this, it would not surprise me if down the road if we design a machine that is heard more towards operators than collectors.

Well, this post certainly turned out to be longer than I intended, but since I have been unable to share, well anything, up until now, I guess it turned in to a big brain dump, and I know <sarcasm>how most of you don't like getting all these kind of details and info </sarcasm>. Hopefully, I don't get into trouble with the boss. As you know, some manufactures no longer post on pinside. I hope to be able too, but obviously that relationship has to be one that works for both sides, so, keep that in mind.

Since I am spending the day, still in my pajamas, recovering, I should be able to check back for questions. Although I can probably wait an hour, since it will take the long to read this.

Again, thanks to our vendors and supporters, thanks to all of you who waited in long lines at TPF to play, thanks for all the feedback and thanks to the couple who actually asked me to autograph our flyer, that was certainly a first.

Rosh

fantasygoat

Apr 19, 2015
Toronto, ON
Still, can't help but feel the whole thing is just icky by mere association with JPOP. Wonder why they even needed to team up with him if they didn't use his services...

What happened is that JPOP knew one of the AP guys because of the Zizzle work he did, and he convinced AP through that guy that he had a game design DONE and ready to go, and if they built the Magic Girls for him, he'd give them the design that was READY TO GO and save them a ton of development time and effort in the process.

Of course, what he gave them was garbage they ended up having to throw away. But they ate the MG build as a good will gesture to the pinball community and will hopefully make it up on their Houdini sales.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
...what he gave them was garbage they ended up having to throw away. But they ate the MG build as a good will gesture to the pinball community and will hopefully make it up on their Houdini sales.

I think this would have been a much more honest and telling statement to have made to the pinball community at the onset.
I think everyone would have not only sympathized with their plight; of having been swindled by JPOP, but would have also applauded their conviction and commitment towards the MG buyers by following through despite their displeasure.
If this is in fact the case, then it should have earned them some good pinball karma.

As it sits, I don't think the Houdini project is any the worse for wear and the JPOP association certainly seems to be washing off.
It's great they were able to have a good showing in Texas. I'm probably not a buyer, but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.

Had I been an MG buyer, I probably would have appreciated the opportunity to convert my investment towards a Houdini rather than the steaming pile that they got. But hey... it's better than the steaming pile I did not get o_O

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Sounds like Houdini will be available for play at PINFEST in Allentown for those here who are attending!

Pinball Star amusements is no an official AP distributor and will be bringing one down.