• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Help needed with LOTR VUK (or is it a Stern switch issue!)

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Hi all. So, the VUK at Gollums Cave and the Shire stopped working. At first they were intermittent, meaning sometimes they would read the ball, sometimes they wouldn't. Eventually got to the point, wouldn't.

So I ordered new switches (actuator included), installed and everything was working fine for about 10 plays. Now, Gollum's Cave is acting up again. Shire is working fine.

Any suggestions?

Reg

May 17, 2013
Ontario
Re: Help needed with LOTR VUK (or is it a Stern switch issue

Gollum/Gimli VUK became intermittent for me until it stopped. After searching the interwebs for a very long time and not finding a whole lot I found one post somewhere that mentioned dirty contacts inside the switch. I decided to try some of THIS that I had. Sprayed it in and mashed on the switch a bunch of times and let it dry. Worked brilliantly. I doubt this is the solution for you but I guess it couldn't hurt to try.

Other things which may be obvious but I have to list them:
-Check your wiring, soldering, and so on.
-Make sure the switch itself is making an audible *click* when you press on it.
-Use the Switch Test in Portals.
-Grab your favourite DMM.
-Could be a faulty switch.

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB

Turned out it was a faulty new switch. Desoldered, put in a new one, no problems. So either I f'ed up the initial solder job (which I don't believe I did)....so it must have been a faulty switch. I wonder if PBL will accept a return....with a rate of 35.00 for shipping??? :)

May 17, 2013
Ontario

Glad you got it sorted at least, even if you have to eat the $4. Have you tried doing a continuity test on the faulty switch now that it's outside the machine?

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB

Well Brian, did a continuity test, and it worked fine. Maybe it was the solder job????