• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Great Games that you sell - Just because it is time

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Magneto's (Luc's) Tron For Sale Thread on maaca has brought up an interesting subject: I figured I will post here as well.

Great games that you sell just because you need a change or, you know you are done with them regardless of how good they still are is this interesting subject.

To summarize, I believe Phil (Mr.Hide) thinks people are nuts to sell a great game like Luc is doing currently with Tron. I imagine the same goes for Stephane's Tron trade for Spiderman in Phil's eyes too.
I dislike partially quoting other people's statement's like Mr.Hide does because you lose the essence of what the person is stating or attempting to communicate, so I won't do that here or elsewhere.
Phil's "feeling" that we "turf" a game because it is too hard is erroneous, as are his comments on for sale threads for the games Phil likes to hype up for whatever reasons + criticize those who sell what he likes.
Regardless of individual thoughts on great games, the purpose of my post isn't to get into it with Phil at all. Each person is entitled to their own opinion and I wouldn't bother trying to change Phil's mind on anything.

The purpose of this post is to explain why the opposite opinion of the same game exists; and that Tron can have it's time and place, and for myself at least, it's time has passed for the present and near future for it too.

Tron is a great game. It has depth. It is tough. It is fun. It is frustrating. Once you have the game dialed in, know the rules and you have the shots numbers all down, sometimes a given game doesn't "do it" for you anymore.

I purchased Tron quite a while ago to "learn it". The purpose was to learn, understand and play the game in order to beat Adam (Moving Pictures) at it during the Quebec provincial finals last year, on his machine in his own home.
I brought the game into my living room for a week while my wife was away. Drano helped me install the "eli ramp mod" in record time. Great game, fast, beautiful and hard. I played it at length nightly after the kids were asleep.
I beat Adam on his Tron in his home in 2 balls. I don't say that to brag, or to indicate I am a better player than Adam. I am not. I did it to illustrate the point that I could learn a new Stern DMD and know it well enough to beat a top player at the game. The result however was something far different than you might think...

I was momentarily satisfied at beating Adam on Tron. I did the same thing on Metallica and also beat Adam on that in his home on 2 balls. Robocop went my way as well. I watched a Bowen tutorial, learned the rules and practiced on Adam's for a few minutes before the tournament start. Adam was 1st in Quebec, I was 16th, and so it was myself vs. Adam in round #1. With wins on the 3 machines I mentioned above (by learning them thoroughly) I figured I had a decent shot at beating Adam. If Harlem Globetrotter's had co-operated, I would have. Adam and I both had truly pathetic games on Harlem, and Adam won that one by 3000 points. He won 3 other pins I didn't know the rules on, and it was game over for me.

I was happy and relieved. Why? Because the purpose of that trip was to spend time with Robert and help pack up and close RAB's Pitt street shop. I was happy to return so quickly to do what was important to me during that trip. While the competition in pinball seemed fun, and learning rules of machines was very important to compete well, the desired results were not to my liking.

What I had inadvertently done was learn 3 games so well at such a competitive level that the "magic" of those games are now destroyed for me, possibly forever.

It is a shame in a way, because they are such great games, but I no longer wish to own any of those 3 games anytime soon. Others may feel that way about selling popular games as well, for different reasons.
Sometimes it is just time for something different, or a change.

Currently I am aiming for 9th in league + tournament play if 8 are in the finals, or 17th if there are 16 in the finals. No further stress for me that way and no "magic" is destroyed. Perhaps in future I may feel differently about it, but for now this strategy will suffice. If you see me sandbagging it, I sorta am. I'm ok with it.

The results I am talking about are as follows:
I have owned 1 Tron and sold it to a far better home.
I have owned 2 Metallica pins, Pro and refinery and sold both to better homes.
I passed on at least 2 Robocop pins when they came up for sale and I avoided them deliberately.

Best advice a veteran gave me when I first started this hobby was simply this. "Buy what you like. Don't listen to what anyone else thinks you should buy". Thank you ME.

48 pins are currently @ Bluffs Pinball. I think I have 40+ others spread all around the place.
Last time I hit 120 pins, I quietly sold 60 pins off in 6 months to cut the herd into half the total.
This time around will be no different. I will start making choices to cut 90 odd pins to 48, just because it is time to do so.

Sometimes you just need a change, even for a great game...or games...

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
At a certain point, you run out of money, space, or both. It then gets to the point where you have to decide what to part with. I can see why someone who doesn't own, and can't afford to own, a particular game would think you were crazy for parting with it, but then again, if nobody ever parted with their games, then a lot of our collections would be pretty barren.

Personally, I haven't sold a whole lot of games that I've owned, and have talked myself out of selling a couple of things over the years simply because I like what I have, and still have room to add net new. One more and that's it though, and then the hard decisions begin.

Reactions: WARLOCK

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Well said back fellow posters.
As a lifelong "collector" of things, these are the biggest and heaviest objects I have ever gathered up.
Also as a "collector", I choose to put my games into the hands of other collectors wherever and whenever possible.
Many times now when I purchase a game, I generally have at least an idea of a couple of people whose hands those games could go to.

The reality for myself this time around is that many of us who have been hunting actively for years, have what we want. It doesn't mean we don't want other pins and to change things up ever, I am actually looking for change. However, there is a contentedness in many basements now with what has been "collected" with great effort by many of us over the last several years. In some cases, there are years of projects lined up. In my specific case, I needed to purchase a lot of pins in order to decide what I liked and what I could live without before thinning the herd.

For a "player's " mentality or a "competitor's" mentality, I have described my position above.
Others will likely chime in for what they do and why, when buying and selling games from this perspective.

To each their own of course. Now the hard part...What goes first and next and next...

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
I'm like Bardon , you hit max due to space, for me it is 25 , 26 , that puts me currently 3 over , 30 will fit but then there is no sitting or mingling area

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
You get to a point in collecting where you realize that you can't possibly own them all especially once you hit financial and/or space constraints. Fortunately with the way pin prices have been "trending" it helps make the decision to not sell anything from my collection very easy. I like every game I currently have and most the recent ones I have brought in were ones I had before and regret selling like WH20, STTNG and JD. Thankfully I was able to get them all back within the past year and paid pretty much what I sold them for 4+ years ago (aka 2012 pin dollars :D)

Reactions: spiroagnew

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I think my goals have changed dramatically also. Bluffs Pinball changed all that in the last 120 days or so.
I don't "need" to keep 100 pins like I thought I did. If we do a 100 pin place, great; but they don't all need to be mine.

I like the variety now and the ability to change them in and out every few weeks or monthly even.
I am selling, but I won't ever stop buying and trading either. Time to sell some SS's + EM's and rotate my DMD's back in as well.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Good pin or not after a while I just tire of them and want something fresh and different.
I myself would rather sell off my older pins to finance a newer one with more modes.
I have come a long way since starting with a free Wizard!
I still miss playing Alien Poker I just don't think I want to own one.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
I myself would rather sell off my older pins to finance a newer one with more modes.

If you find yourself always looking for more in a game then look no further than The Simpsons Pinball Party (or some of the other great Keith Johnson pins like Lord of the Rings or World Poker Tour). They have a lot more content and depth of rules than most pins. For some people it's even too much, but for people like myself who prefer the challenge of always getting something new out of a game, they are perfect (which is why I had to get all three :p).

Jeff K.

Jun 27, 2013
Toronto
Personally, my biggest issue with keeping many of my favorite pins is my limited space. I have re-shuffled my games room a few time just to open up more space for pinballs.
I have sold some amazing pinballs along the way including selling one of my favorite titles, a really nice MM, to Scott. However, that sale of MM made it possible for me to buy Poolman's mint, clearcoated all brass sample IJ- my grail pin.
In the past, I sold a Monster Bash to get a mint TAFG from a contact of Nick's. I will miss the MM and MB; and may one day bring them back to the collection.
I have met or talked to some really nice guys thru PBRev including Mike Wong who has been so helpful in assisting me to both sell and locate pins.
I recently traded a huo SM to get a really sharp huo Tron (from Montreal); and it was Scott who helped make this deal possible.
I do think there comes a time when you're ready to make a change- particularly when space or financial constraints are an issue.
This is a great hobby; and it's awesome having such a wide variety of games to choose from- including some amazing new titles from Stern.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I fear this discussion more than most :(
I've allowed my tastes to expand and, with them, my collection.
I must be well over 35 machines by now. My fogginess due to the fact that several of them are projects that are tucked away.

I can't lie... Lately I've been asking myself "what would it be like to turf 1/3 of the lineup?"
After so many years of collecting and coveting these things, it's so hard to let them go. I guess everyone is different, but one thing is certain.... when you're ready, you'll know it.

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
What Drano said, "when you're ready, you'll know it". I purged my entire collection a few years ago as they were actually somewhat falling into disrepair out of lack of time and interest. I was bored of the games and wasn't showing them any love. Time to move on. Of course, I did bring the Sopranos into the home a while later, but only on one condition (wife imposed)....that games only come in, never back out. I tested the theory once with F-14 and failed miserably. It only lasted a year. Now I'm bound to my promise, so the many temptations that pop up on this forum and in the classifieds are exactly that - temptations that attempt to erode my resolve. So far, I've stayed strong.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Variety is the spice of life. This hobby can get stagnant and frustrating, from a collectors perspective, quite quickly...shaking things up and experiencing the thrill of the hunt keeps things fresh and interesting. Personally, I'm not satisfied unless I have a game to fix, tinker with and make pretty. There just isn't room for everything once the tinkering is done. Fix/enjoy/sell/repeat (as opposed to the other common chain: buy/Novus/flip/repeat).

You gotta pull the plug and move on, sometimes, for your own personal gratification (and/or sanity).

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I hauled my High Speed up to my garage as I have a kijijii looker coming today.
Pay envelope with $150 in the coin box.
Forgot it was there....
Score!

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Every collector is different. Some buy and they last, some buy and flip. Not including htise who just buy to sell, but those who like a changing lineup for variety and differentiation.

I've had some great games come and go, I either felt they weren't for me or they would be better with someone who would better care for it.

With that said however, I have some games I will hang on to for a while.

I think it really comes down to the selling factor. If it is space or finances forcing a hand, it makes it more difficult. If it comes down to just moving on, than it is clearly an easier decision to make.