• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Grauwulf's Tips/Tricks/Tools thread

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
brad808 said:
Allan said:
Good post I also carry a hand held oscilloscope handy for checking switch pulses.

Would there be any benefit to that over using a (presumably cheaper) logic probe?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If you're just checking for strobing / pulses a logic probe will suffice, but there are times when an o-scope is the only tool for the job. (sound boards would definitely be one of these times)

D

Allan

Jan 16, 2014
Binbrook
brad808 said:
Allan said:
Good post I also carry a hand held oscilloscope handy for checking switch pulses.

Would there be any benefit to that over using a (presumably cheaper) logic probe?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
The logic probe is cheaper and handier,the scope has memory and a grid so you can measure frequency and pulse duration handy for any video work as well,use it to measure ripple on power supplies not as usefull as a bench scope only has one port and no ext trigger. The handiest tool I have though is the simplest and that is a 6ft. jumper lead very effective on EM or SS to locate switch and driver issues. I was originally going to get a logic probe couldn't find what I wanted but I got a deal on this handheld scope that is real hungry for batteries made by Leader that was 3 years ago found it handy and the price has crashed since theres lots out there here is just one example http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFMGCCM/ref ... B00GFMGCCM

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
Just thought I'd comment a little more on the 0.062/0.093" pin removal tools. I did some looking around while I was putting together supplies for another collector and found that a lot of the tools weren't as good to work with as the ones I already had. Most tools just compress the tabs on the pins to release the pin from the housing, but you have to pull the pin out yourself by the wire. Not a good scenario if you already have a weakened wire connection. And means you will have to use pliers to pull pins out if the wire has already been pulled out of the pin.

Here is a picture of the pin tools that I have:

It's nice in that you can use the plunger to push the pin out of the housing.

Two different manufactures make it that I have found,

Mode (p/n 37-950-1 and 37-951-1)
and
Philmore (p/n 61-390 and 61-392)

They are comparable in price to the molex and other tools.

Attachments

• getpicture.jpg
    getpicture.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 381

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
Was cleaning up my tools from an orgy of board repairs today and thought I'd share one of my bench test 'tools'. More of a convenience item than an actual tool, it's a power harness that goes from my bench supply to the mpu board. It saves from having to use test leads from the power supply to the power header on the MPU board and cuts the risk of accidentally hooking up the wrong wire and saves time if you have to hook and unhook the power numerous times. The power input is the same for WMS SYS3-11 and for DE Rev1-3 boards, so this is a really versatile little do-dad if you do a lot of work on the bench.

Attachments

• IMG-20140314-00122.jpg
    IMG-20140314-00122.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 277