• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Gottlieb Bounty Hunter opinions please

manitouguy

Jul 21, 2013
vancouver bc
hi all - just wondering if any of you own, or have experience or opinions on Gotllieb's Bounty Hunter??

I might have a line on one - but seller mentioned a sound issue (something about a riot board) and the player 2 display needing work??

don't know if those are huge issues - but also wondering about game play or opinions on that era of gottlieb as well

any comments much appreciated

regards, Ron

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Well, they're pretty hard to come by.
A friend in Minnesota owns one and loves it, but I've never gotten to play it.
As with any Gottlieb of that era, I'd expect a lot of things need to be done to it before the game is solid.

If you're not afraid of a little work, it would definitely be a unique addition to say the least.
I love the art and the layout is pretty decent.

manitouguy

Jul 21, 2013
vancouver bc
thanks Adriano - an ss game makes me a bit nervous ... don't know the good or bad of gottlieb system 80b ...

apparently all is working as it should ... except something with 2nd player display and sound issue?

I may go for it as I do like the art work and western theme and the play is simple like my ems!!

Ron

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Ron,

All the best with it if you go for it on the Gottlieb.
I don't know Gottlieb's of the era, sorry. (EM's prior to that only for me)

Once I am in the SS pin territory, it is all Williams and a couple of token Bally's and Stern's for me.

Do what works for you. Lots of good advice givers here.
Good luck!

Thank you so much for the c-37 ribbon sent through Drano!
Much appreciated.
Cheers.

Scott

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Ron,
You may be lucky and the ground mods may have already been done to this machine. Just inquire with the owner and I'm sure he can tell you.
That would make it a whole lot more appealing as well.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
The ground mods are simple if you have a good soldering iron. I did it to a system 80 before, and it fixed all the problems up. If the game hasn't had the grounding updates, then that might be all it needs

manitouguy

Jul 21, 2013
vancouver bc
Scott, enjoy the c37 ribbon :)

Adriano - don't know if the mod was done - I suspect not

Lucky - I am awaiting some video tonight of the game in action - that may give us an idea of what needs fixing ...

thanks guys, will keep you posted

the game must be reasonably rare as I haven't been able to find anyone direct who has played it and can comment ...

regards, Ron

manitouguy

Jul 21, 2013
vancouver bc
ok guys, just watched some video of the game - all appears to be really nice and clean in the back box, and all present

currently the lower display (players 3 and 4) isn't lighting up on the score display but one and two are fine

first question - would I need buy a full new display or just the lower 'piece'? and about how much will they run!?

attract mode works - all scoring / lights/ sequences appear active and correct - flippers are fine - one bumper is intermitant (not a big deal of course)

but there is no sound ... as with display - if I have to get a new sound unit ... what will that cost? any ideas

could either the display or the sound be tied into the ground mod not being completed??

sorry for all the questions - I know nothing of this stuff but really like the looks of the game ..

also, on a system 80b like this, could you adjust volume or set any other items like high score thresholds ??? number of balls etc?

any advice appreciated

regards, Ron

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Here's info on sys80 machines. The grounding mods are down the page. Section 4.3. All the boards get a new ground, so it could help.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?t ... nd_updates

The displays can be fixed, and some games have segments available. Marco is outta stock for your game, so hopefully it's an easy fix.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-644

Most, maybe all solid state games have adjustable balls, high score thresholds and volume. Because its a gottlieb game, it will be hard to find the manual online. Call the pinball resource, Steve young is great to deal with.

http://www.pbresource.com/

manitouguy

Jul 21, 2013
vancouver bc
thanks lucky -

will check those links

apparently our local pin shop here has the system 80 guru, so if deal goes through hopefully he can help too

the manual comes with the machine so I can check then too

regards, Ron

manitouguy

Jul 21, 2013
vancouver bc
.. and I see the wiki articles are by John, the local pin guru I mentioned :)

so I bought the bounty hunter ... I asked if maybe it was as simple as the speaker in the cabinet

seller said he didn't know, but that when his buddy took the board and plugged it into his gottlieb touchdown - he heard the bounty hunter sounds working??

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Well...though Sys80 games have a bad rep, the bright side is there is lots written about them to get them in working order. FYI, every TOPcast tech episode has an "I Survived System 80" tech tip. And I think one has to do with audio problems. Worth a listen?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Ron,
If you need any reference to another Bounty Hunter just shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch with my buddy in MN that has one.

Congrats!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
John @ John's Jukes is the guru you're talking about and yes he is good. The fact the Bounty sound board worked in your friends game is excellent as that at least verifies the issue is somewhere in your game and not on the PCB. (could still be a ground or connector pin issue, or as you mentioned even the cabinet speakers)

Keep us posted on the progress and outcome!

D

manitouguy

Jul 21, 2013
vancouver bc
again, thanks guys ...

just my luck - called pinball resource and Steve said that since '97 he has slowly been selling nos parts for the gottlieb bounty hunters ... and last week he sold his last playfield ...!! doooogh

if anyone out there knows of someone who picked one up and would sell let me know ... irks me to be 'that close' but oh well :)

I need some gentle knudging to convince me to pick this game up .. I think I can get it going and get the sound and displays working ... but do I spend the money on this machine .... or save for another

the system 80 spooks me!!!

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
My first game was a non working system 80b. Never looked inside a pinball before that. If I figured it out you can figure it out. There are lots of very thorough repair guides.

Sent from my Nexus 4