• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Goldeneye Flipper Magnet Issue

Dave Wilson

May 3, 2016
Niagara Region
I have had a Goldeneye for 5 years or so. It did not have a magnet board at the time and purchased one a year or two back. It failed back then after a brief test. Now we are back on it. Didn't even have a way to mount the board under the playfield but we have rigged up some tie wraps and insulation to secure it. First time we attempted to use it we had limited success in getting the satellite magnet to work in test mode. With the help of my electronically inclined friends it was determined that a couple of transistors had blown and a resistor was not behaving properly on the magnet board not to mention some fuse failures. Bought replacements and the electronics guys put them in place. We then had some success during testing and it was determined that fuse F20 had blown. That was strange as the manual and fuse guide in the back box said it is not used. However we came upon a Sega Service Bulletin (No. 84) and that explained how F20 was now being deployed as a result of someone implementing the Service Bulletin change. With that knowledge and a good F20 we were ecstatic to get the satellite magnet functioning normally during test mode and game play. Kind of cool to get it going after all these years. Onto the flipper magnet. During test mode it fired up one time only and nothing since. I have one specific question. During test mode if we fire up the Flipper Test it starts by showing the Satellite tests (home position and magnet) and then after a second it changes the display to Roll Ball Between Flippers. The flipper magnet however does not activate. Does anyone know why the test for flipper magnet starts with the Satellite test display? Is that normal? Is that a clue to our problem? Can anyone with a Goldeneye do the flipper test and see if it starts with the Satellite test display?

I also note that hashman from Australia (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthr...Save-Magnet-Not-Working?p=1099252#post1099252) used an eprom from his original half-working board (satellite only) and achieved success on the flipper magnet by placing it in a new board he purchased that apparently came with a blank eprom. Since our satellite magnet works fine does that preclude the eprom we have being an issue with the flipper magnet?

Thanks for bearing with me on this long post and thanks in advance to anyone who replies. I would love to see the flipper magnet in action.