• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Gandalf Mod

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Found this over on Pinside and thought I would share here. I just completed this mod myself......bonehead simple. If I could do it, anyone can. :shock:

If you want to know how it's done, PM me and I'll give you the deets!

Attachments

• Gandalf Mod.JPG
    Gandalf Mod.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 303
Reactions: ritewhereiwant2b

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I saw that same post. I bet it looks awesome.

I found and installed the real staff from that Gandalf figure. Wonder if it can be modified to work with it?
I'd be interested in some basic details on the bulb used and connection points... although I promised myself, no more work on LOTR :?

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
I've had a lot of queries on how to do this mod, so figure I'd just post here in the thread (don't know why I didn't do that from the beginning!).

1. Go to the following site. http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/smd-chip-leds.html Order the nano cool white or warm white (dependant upon your preference of course) 6-12 volt.) Price is very cheap, and shipping is more than reasonable. I think it cost me 10 bucks in total, apparently the box doesn't have to be 100 times oversized to fit the customs papers (those who read my thread about shipping costs will understand!).

2. On the thread at Pinside, they recommend the Gandalf on Shadowfax for the figure to use. Personally, I don't think it's required, knowing what I know now. As long as you have the staff you should be good to go. What you need to do with the staff, is carve out the top of it so that it is concave. It was recommended to me to use an exacto knife...but I used my dremel tool to carve out a nice little scoop at the top of the staff.

3. Make sure you have some wire (I used speaker wire). The negative wire on the light itself is the one that is green, red is positive. Splice that to the corresponding speaker wire. I suppose you could solder it. I just wrapped it around and put some electrical tape around it.

4. Once you have the light ready to attach to the staff, use Household Goop (make sure it's transparent). You can buy it at Crappy Tire. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/amazi ... x-c2oXwp5s Put a little glob of it on the top of the staff and put the light on top of it. Once it has hardened, put another glob on top of the light itself. Once it starts to harden you can try to mold it with your fingers to make a crystal like design in it if you so desire.....me, I didn't have the patience for that!

5. Now place a strip of glue along the backside of the staff and run the wire along the backside of the staff (afterall, don't want the wire to be seen in plain sight! LOL). Drape it down underneath the playfield and attach to a light socket of your choosing. You can solder it or use alligator clips....I used the latter. I put it on one of my GI sockets so it stays lit all the time.

Thats it, thats all in a nutshell. Bone-head simple. I have to give credit to HDMike444 over on Pinside. He walked me through this.

Cheers,

Reg

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I would love to make a mod like this for my Totan genie and tie it into the magnet so it only lights up when he is throwing the fireball back at you.

Thanks for posting the details Reg

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Pharoah007 said:
I don't have the staff :(

Nobody does. Stern removed all the 'weapons' from the figures before the installed them.
I was lucky enough to find a huge lot of used LOTR toys on eBay and almost all the weapons were included. For about $20 I was able to put them all back in. Looks way better.
If you can find the Armies of Middle Earth (AOME) Gandalf on Shadowfax toy on eBay, it'll have the staff. but it's a lot to pay for a little piece of plastic if you buy it NIB.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lord-Rings-Mi ... B0073VCGWO

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I bought one a long time ago with plans to do this, just never got around to it.

Thanks Reg for the info maybe it will actually motivate me to get er done now :)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Vengeance said:
I bought one a long time ago with plans to do this, just never got around to it.

Thanks Reg for the info maybe it will actually motivate me to get er done now :)

I am shocked you'd even consider this, seeing as it has zero effect on game play! :cool:

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Menace said:
I am shocked you'd even consider this, seeing as it has zero effect on game play! :cool:
D

I never said I don't like mods, I just don't like paying for them.

My Metallica is modded all the way to hell, and it looks great, and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for any of it :)

I've got the figure with staff, I'm ok with a $10 LED and some glue :)

I doubt you'll even remember Doug, but I asked you WAY back when, when I only had like 7 machines and LED's were less common, how to pull this off as I couldn't figure out what resistor to use, you told me to get you the voltage and we could figure it out and I never did :lol: