• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Game plan sharp shooter help

Bach88

Sep 26, 2020
Bradenton, Fl
Turned on the sharp shooter today and it’s acting up. Top left pop bumper actuates randomly. When the ball goes in the drain it won’t spit the ball back out. The coin counter keeps going up randomly. Some of the play field switches aren’t working. The relay on the spu clicks randomly. In test it has the slam switch closed. So I tested all the switches thy are fine. Unplugged the slam switch from the mpu and it still shows it’s closed. I’m guessing this is on the board (or boards) but not really sure where to start with all these symptoms. I brought this pin back from the dead about eight years ago and replaced almost everything on the mpu. Hope someone with more knowledge then me about game plans can point me in the right direction.

Flippersdotcom

Feb 24, 2016
Vancouver,BC
www.flippers.com
First check the voltages on the MPU test points. You can download the manual from ipdb.org I imagine if you don't have it. If you find a problem with the +5 check that the main filter capacitor on the rectifier/fuse panel is secure and the lugs to it (if screwed in) are tight.
Does the LED on the MPU flash correctly?
Have you checked the MPU for battery corrosion and either removed the battery or moved it off with extension wires and put the battery in a baggy? We now have a NVRAM for Game Plan MPUs - ask me for the link if interested.
I do service Game Plan MPUs and currently my service delay is only a couple of weeks...
John :-#)#

Bach88

Sep 26, 2020
Bradenton, Fl
Thanks for the reply!! I already have this resolved though. It ended up being corrosion under the U18 chip causing a short between pins 1,2 and 3. I’d like to check out the links about the nvram ram though. What’s the benefit over the sram in a pin? Thanks again for taking the time to try and help out.

Bach88

Sep 26, 2020
Bradenton, Fl
This is the NVRAM I suggest: https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/stern-mpu200-nvram-module-p-8736
The advantage is you don't need a battery to retain programming, high scores, etc.
If you are staying with a battery PLEASE remove it from the game board with extension wires, perhaps a foot or longer, and put the battery in a baggy for when it leaks...
John :-#)#

Battery was removed on day 1 of owning this pin. I’m just using aaa batteries in holder with a diode to block the charge. Mounted it below everything but it would be nice not to have to change the batteries and reset the high score. Thanks again!!