• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Everything You EVER wanted to know about Customs

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
I think things have been changing in the past few years at the border, especially with the emphasis on it being a sales tax making prospect for the feds. And now with the Internet, the guards can do some easy research to try to determine an arbitrary value, despite what you say, or what it says on a receipt.

I think that's more the issue here. Having a receipt from a US Walmart is one thing. Buying used goods is quite another.

A used machine lists at a certain arbitrary value (above, below or at "market" rate) and usually on used goods you negotiate a lower price. So you come prepared and have the seller sign a receipt (for the actual amount paid) and put their contact info on the receipt for direct corroboration... and STILL some people get hassled and the CBS points to some recent asking prices online on eBay (which are always inflated) or even the original sales ad (or so I have heard).

What can one do but pay the tax on the arbitrarily assigned value (hoping that it's not far above what was really paid) and then, one supposes, file a grievance with evidence to effect a refund, not!

I do think, though, based on some of the stories declared in these forums, that some cross-border shoppers are more regularly hassled than others.

juandylan

Nov 18, 2012
Thorold
Menace said:
juandylan said:
You are nuts to think that the customs agents have the slightest clue what your machines true "collectable" value really is, whether it is MM or it is a beat up EM. These guys/gals that work these jobs are more concerned with much more serious offenses like importing firearms, illegal immigrants, drug trafficking, booze smuggling, etc..

I wouldn't be so sure of this... I've been in this hobby a long time, and I've heard PLENTY of stories. All I can say is don't be too naive when it comes to crossing the boarder.

D

I'm not saying I'm sure of this, I'm just saying some of the stories people say get a little blown out of proportion. When you have lived 10 minutes from a US border crossing your entire life, you hear a million and one stories about all sorts of supposed crazy things that happen at the border with some serious embellishment.

I cross over the border an awful lot, at minimum once a week and I can assure you that I check my naivety at the door each and every time.

As stated earlier in this thread, "Expect to pay 13% on anything you bring back, anything less is just a bonus".

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I agree some of what you hear is blown out of proportion, but some of it is not. But don't think for a second that some of the CBSA agents don't "have the slightest clue what your machines true collectable value really is". Some of them do...

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I worked with an ex-border guard once. He had so many stories. They know they get lied to all day long, and it becomes sport for them to catch people. And they would love to catch people over stuff like wearing new shoes across, let alone a multi-thousand dollar item.

brightonrock

Mar 19, 2013
Hamilton, ON
Does anybody know what happens if you want to "trade" a game over the boarder? If games are of equal value, what do you say when you cross to the US and what do you say when you return?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
You still pay tax at the border for its value. barter is not an acceptable tax workaround.

I would guess they'd ask you the value, and depending on whether they believed you or not they'd accept that answer.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
I currently have a game lined up to be shipped from Colorado. I'm looking for some direction as to where I should be shipping this close to the buffalo border for pickup. Does anyone know of a terminal or whatever I should be going to?

Any help on this matter would be appreciated as I've never done it.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I've used Storage Central - Kinek in downtown Buffalo which is pretty much right over the bridge and they can accept any size / weight deliveries.
291 Ellicott St, Buffalo, NY 14203, United States
Phone:+1 716-855-2200

Give them a call and ask about rates, as I recall they change based on weight or value of the item. (I can't remember exactly)

Pickup was simple and easy to get to.

D

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
What ever happened to NAFTA ???
Most older machines have stamps that show they were built in the US.
When I get my employee discounted batteries (car) I simply requested that they attach the supporting documents to show the item is exempt and don't pay brokerage/duty at all. (always fun to watch the UPS guys trying to move 2-3 fully sealed batteries, damn he hates me)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Regardless of NAFTA, having a carrier move something like this across the boarder costs a LOT more due to all the paperwork and hassle so dropping something like this at a depot in Buffalo is the way to go.

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
BMHouze said:

NAFTA is in full effect, you do not pay tariffs or duty on an American made pin, only the consumer tax of HST which you would end up paying if you bought it from Playdium or any other store here.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
frolic said:
BMHouze said:

NAFTA is in full effect, you do not pay tariffs or duty on an American made pin, only the consumer tax of HST which you would end up paying if you bought it from Playdium or any other store here.

This leads to question #2 for me. Crossing the border with native status means not having to pay tax on a pin?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
If you've been exempt on paying tax for anything else you've ever imported, I would think the same rules would apply here.

D

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Menace said:
I've used Storage Central - Kinek in downtown Buffalo which is pretty much right over the bridge and they can accept any size / weight deliveries.
291 Ellicott St, Buffalo, NY 14203, United States
Phone:+1 716-855-2200

Give them a call and ask about rates, as I recall they change based on weight or value of the item. (I can't remember exactly)

Pickup was simple and easy to get to.

D

So I have my pin all lined up to ship there. I've signed up for kinek so I got the number and then just have that on the package? I've already done all that... so that's it? It almost seems too simple. Not that I want to over complicate it, I just want to make sure there is nothing else that should be done on my part to make sure there are no issues. Do these guys just receive it and store it in a warehouse until I can get down and grab it (for the 30 days at least)? I have called them and talked to someone but they weren't overly helpful and I know a pinball machine isn't exactly a nice small box so I just want to hear your experience having actually done it.
Thanks

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yep, that's pretty much it. This Kinek location is a huge warehouse / storage facility (think parking garage) with a huge loading dock area. They will accept your delivery and store it in one of their storage lockers until you come down to pick it up. They will charge you a fee per day based on the weight of the item if I remember correctly. You just show up with your paperwork and ID, pay the fee, they go pull your item from storage and bring it to the loading docks, you load up and go.

Very simple. Then you get to go deal with customs! :)

D