• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Dr@No's fun filled (and often long-winded) restorations

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
START YOUR ENGINES: restoring my first vid; 1986 ATARI Super Sprint
Part 1

Well, all the sub-assemblies for those DK cabs are done as of today.
Tomorrow I may start assembling full cabinets in preparation for the paint booth.

But, today's update is for another classic vid project.

I grabbed this baby out in Quebec a couple of months back and the PREV train has just recently helped bring it home.
Thanks Scott! ;)

As you can see, the kids were mighty excited; almost as much as me!
I havent played Super Sprint in maybe 25+ years. In fact, I had completely forgotten about this game until Mike (MWONG) mentioned it to me last year. A quick google image search brough back instant memories of spinning the crap out of those wheels and exploding into a wall after an oil spill. Good times!!!

I put the head cabinet on and ran a few cables into the base. It booted, but I couldn't get the monitor working... and then I noticed this:

I'm a vid noob but I knew enough to beware of old vid monitors. I'd heard they can hold a charge for years and zap you pretty good. After a little consultation, I was instructed on how to reconnect the flyback anode to the top of the monitor. I flipped the switch and, after a short warmup, BAM!!!

There are a few 'artifacts' on the screen if you look close. I'll have to bring in some pro help on that one, but most guys seem to think it's a simple RAM issue.
The pedals on this baby have been completley refurbished by Ian (Sparky) over on maaca. The rest of the game is all there and it plays pretty well, but this will be one of my upcoming refurb posts. I plan to bondo and repaint parts of the cab, apply proper decals, repair most of the CP and just generallly give it a good cleanup.

Until then however, it's enjoying a perfect spot in the garage next to my beer fridge. The one time it's okay to drink and drive :cool:

Stay tuned for more SS action in a few months after I clear off some of my current projects.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 551
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 551
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 551
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 551

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
DRANO said:
I havent played Super Sprint in maybe 25+ years. In fact, I had completely forgotten about this game until Mike (MWONG) mentioned it to me last year.

I committed to this right away as soon as DavidC posted it knowing I didn't have space or maybe I could find a way to make it work. You are lucky I am out of options in my room or else this was destined to be in my basement. I've always wanted a Super Sprint for years but everyone that had one for sale wanted like $800-1200 for it. Congrats and glad it went to a good home where it will be enjoyed by your kids.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Yeah. I know ;)
I waited for you to say yes... but didn't want it to get away either!

I think it's gonna need at least $300-$400 worth of parts to make it really nice, so I can see why they go for $800+

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
START YOUR ENGINES: restoring my first vid; 1986 ATARI Super Sprint
Part 2

So, even though I didn't plan on really getting into this project right now, I could not resist digging into it just to see what parts I should be hunting down and what will need repair.

I knew right away that one steering wheel mount had been hacked and that the metal CPO was damaged.

I also noticed quite a few hacks inside the CP. Lots of spliced wires and broken connectors/headers.
I spent some time cleaning these up and fixing what I could in a short time.
I'll address this in more detail once I've cleared my plate a bit and the real work starts.

Next week I will be clearcoating a few project playfields that have been waiting in queue for some time.
But, for now, I'll be able to send out some of this stuff for repair and locate some parts (hopefully). I'mlearning that SS parts are not exactly plentiful.

PS.
If anyone has a line on a really nice monitor bezel, let me know. Mine is 'okay', bnut has been painted over a little.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 516
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 516
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 516

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
THE NEW KING OF KONG: if you can't find a vintage Nintendo cab.... just make your own
Part 2

A quick update on those DK cabinets.

With all the smaller sub-assemblies put together, I was able to slap together a fairly complete cab on my lunch hour today. Not too shabby... just 10 more to go :FP:

I want to get about 4 done so that I can paint them in three batches of 4 (I'm making 12 total).
Hopefully I can be priming by late this week... which would work out well since I already have to be in the spray booth to clearcoat those playfields anyway!

Attachments

• IMG_6450.JPG
    IMG_6450.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 470

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Our shop manager keeps asking me when all my 'junk' is going to get moved so I've put things into high gear ;)
3 more cabs done today!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6451.JPG
    IMG_6451.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_6452.JPG
    IMG_6452.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 446

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Menace said:
Junk? JUNK!?!?! I sure hope you gave that shop manager a nice open handed slap across the face! :)

D

Well, at that time, he was staring at a pile of wood ;)
I've obviously made a good dent in shifting all that material. Just 7 more to go.

Gotta play nice if I want use of the shop and facilities.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
So... to my surprise, I walked out to the shop at the end of the day yesterday and my partner in this endeavour (and CNC operator) had decided to stay late and knock together a few more cabs! We now have 10 of the 12 ready for priming! Going to try and round out the week with the last two so that, hopefully, I can move on to other projects soon.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I find it best when Drano is doing a project to just say "yes" if he offers involvement to you.
Then you can deal with the consequences of what that means later. lol. No regrets then.

Seriously Drano, these look damn sweet!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
WARLOCK said:
I find it best when Drano is doing a project to just say "yes" if he offers involvement to you.
Then you can deal with the consequences of what that means later. lol. No regrets then.

Seriously Drano, these look damn sweet!

That's because all my projects take months :FP:
But hey! It's only pinball... or vids in this case.

Thanks ;)

spiroagnew said:
Starting to feel the pangs of regret for not getting in on the project!

Rob,
If/when you're ready for one of these, I'm sure we can work something out. Just not for a little while. I have a feeling I'll be sick of these by the time we're done.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Thought I'd post a few updates on several ongoing projects.

I was getting a little restless the last few nights and decided to tear out the bottom panel (footplate) from my Super Sprint project.
The condition of the wood and laminate covering were just too far gone to touch up, so just easier to copy it at the shop and start fresh.
A pair of clamp/spreaders that I had lying around made short work of pulling it off!

That broken Control panel got cleaned up and one of the gentlemen in our metal shop was kind enough to patch it up for me. Good as new!

After that, I decided I would try and clear up some of the clutter in my garage/shop. One half of the room is totally eaten up with storage right now as I continue to finish my family room, but the left half is where I'll keep a few 'project' and overflow games... as well as my two vids.
I figured it was about time to cover up the purple foam insulation and started throwing up my pegboard panels. Looks pretty cool I think and will be useful as well.
(yes, I do have 2 Banzai Run in the garage right now :FP:)

Moving onto more vids; those DK cabinets are about to get primed today. Pretty stoked!
In the meantime, I measured up a plywood panel for the 19" LCD monitor and cut out the hole. I also grabbed some black bristol board from my local artist supply store and cut a proper bezel for it.

And finally, playfields!
It's been a good 3-4 months since I've stepped into the paint booth. Some of that time was eaten up prepping 2-3 playfields so that I could do them all at once (way more efficient) and the last couple of months was due to illness.
Anyway, a pretty mixed bag this time around. We have a Gottlieb Jacks Open that's getting some minor corrections and protection, a CPR pinbot that had some blurry insert art, a friend's TZ playfield that I'm converting for 3rd magnet mod and my Special Force spare playfield.
Will be giving them all their first coat today after work.

That is all for now; thanks for following along.
I'm not going into great detail on any of this stuff, but if anyone wants more info on anything, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 362
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 362
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 362
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 362
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 362

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
I can't wait to see the finished results of those playfields. That Pin*Bot is mine. Drano, if you'd like to write-up the process of the insert removal and replacement, maybe it would provide the community with a "How To"...and also highlight your level of dedication and perfectionism!