• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

"Dialing In" your pin

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
I've always found this shot particularly difficult, as a non-HS owner. Hard to gauge the sweet spot when you step up to one you've never played before.

I totally agree with this. That side ramp has frustrated me on more than one occasion. Step up to a different Highspeed and you'll often wonder why you are missing the shot over and over again. It doesn't look like it should be hard at all, but somehow it is. Highspeed is one of those games that is so simple on the surface, but it can still kick your ass and keep you coming back for more.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
I totally agree with this. That side ramp has frustrated me on more than one occasion. Step up to a different Highspeed and you'll often wonder why you are missing the shot over and over again. It doesn't look like it should be hard at all, but somehow it is. Highspeed is one of those games that is so simple on the surface, but it can still kick your ass and keep you coming back for more.
Brewmanager's HS has an especially frustrating side ramp.

It's very telling that Steve Ritchie's Rollergames, which has nearly the same layout as HS, has a magnet to help the player with the side ramp shot.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Ricker

Nov 17, 2012
Vaughan, Ontario
I have a question about dialing in a pin from the esthetics point of view. It was mentioned earlier that you should clean, wax, polish, remove the soot from light bulbs on the playfield, etc... but how about making a backglass better?

One veteran pinballer that is in my view very respected for his skills to maintain / upgrade a pin told me that to remove the terrible grime and tar from the back of a bg is a tricky thing and I agree. He proceeded to show me how to gently wipe the backglass with a touch of windex on the cloth and rub just enough to remove the tar. If you see any paint flecks, stop right away. So my question is, what are you doing to clean the bg?

Finally, do you seal all of your bg's after it has been cleaned?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I have a question about dialing in a pin from the esthetics point of view. It was mentioned earlier that you should clean, wax, polish, remove the soot from light bulbs on the playfield, etc... but how about making a backglass better?

One veteran pinballer that is in my view very respected for his skills to maintain / upgrade a pin told me that to remove the terrible grime and tar from the back of a bg is a tricky thing and I agree. He proceeded to show me how to gently wipe the backglass with a touch of windex on the cloth and rub just enough to remove the tar. If you see any paint flecks, stop right away. So my question is, what are you doing to clean the bg?

Finally, do you seal all of your bg's after it has been cleaned?

Dialing-in a game has to do with making small adjustments (usually on the playfield) to make it play better/smoother.

This is more of a general maintenance question but, the one thing I'd be concerned with is introducing water to the back of a bg. If it's in really good shape and you're patient, you may get away with it... but I'd be super careful.

And I would only triple-thick a glass if it was in danger of flaking/cracking. If it were in good shape I'd leave it alone.