• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Decall Second Generation

Rev

Nov 18, 2012
gatineau
Hi,is it possible that the decall are thinner then they original Ijust did a decall job on a Adams and I use as always Rapid Tack and I see the line in the wood true the decall. :?:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I have done a few cabinets and yes, the modern "next gen" graphics are printed on a thinner, more flexible, vinyl.

Older screen printed decals appear to be done on heavier paper-based stock and they apply much more easily IMO and are more forgiving.

That being said, if you have heavy woodgrain coming through your decals, you probably have not prepped the cabinet enough. It should be really smooth.

Rev

Nov 18, 2012
gatineau
I finish it whith. a 120 paper and it was a new head that I done, what paper do you take to finish the job and did you use rapid tack.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
120 is very rough for finishing.
You should start with 100-120 grit, then you move to something between 300-400 grit to get it very smooth. After that you have to seal the wood with either varathane or primer. This first coat will raise the wood grain back up again, so you will need to go over it with another sanding of 400-600 grit and then apply another coat of varathane or primer. One last sanding with 600-800 and then you can wipe it clean with a moist rag and apply the decals (wet or dry as you prefer). This would be the correct way to do it and you will avoid seeing any woodgrain. Also, you will get better adhesion than applying to bare wood sanded at 120... if that is what you are saying?

Rapid tack is a great product for applying decals, but I have found that if I have high quality decals on the thicker material, a dry application actually works better. No bubbles like you will se on thinner vinyl decals.