• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Credit Dot Pinball: The Update Thread

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Made the trip out to the Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, NY with the family...it just so happened they had an exhibit called "Pinball Playfields". Decent collection, poor execution.

FEATURE: Pinball in a Hall
http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/08/16/ ... layfields/

Excerpt: "The Strong Museum is a really odd place. It is one of those museums that cropped up in the seventies and eighties which takes popular (low) culture subject matter and turns it into high culture by putting it into a museum. Where else would you find a Tickle Me Elmo doll, new in box, preserved behind glass and tagged with its official manufacture date? That said, the museum prides itself on its “hands-on” activities: craft stations, dress-up areas, a small-sized play restaurant and supermarket, console gaming stations, and so forth. The problem I found, is that I had no time to enjoy the vintage toys behind glass or the interactive displays because I was too busy running after my two-and-a-half year old, making sure he was sharing and taking turns with the billion other kids that were visiting on the afternoon we were there."

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
After a bit of a hiatus, Credit Dot returns with an interview of Drop Target Zine illustrators/authors Alec Longstreth and Jon Chad. These guys are absolutely sincere in their love for pinball and it shows in their fantastic publication which is part-comic/part-magazine. DTZ Issue #6 is out NOW!

PEOPLE: Drop Target's Jon Chad and Alec Longstreth
http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/08/27/ ... ongstreth/

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Remember that Elvira and the Party Monsters re-theme? Yep, the Gameroom Collectibles one with all the boobs? It spurred a wandering discussion of female objectivity in pinball and the higher comedic level on which the Elvira character operates.

FEATURE: GRC’s Elvira and the Party Monsters Re-Theme and Issues of Pinball Objectivity
http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/08/28/ ... jectivity/

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
In that last post, you mentioned this:

It seems like a risky move for Stern to return to the killing fields where they were met with underwhelming results in the past, but if anyone can pull it off, they can. Crippling criticism for Avengers didn’t stop them from returning with X-Men just a few titles later.

Wasn't Avengers the next game after X-Men? I'm pretty sure that X-Men was June 2012, and then Avengers was Dec 2012.

Not sure that a baseball theme would work or not work, but it's probably an uphill battle for most pinheads. People will buy a great game in spite of the theme (look at the multitudes of games based on horrible dated movies), but a strong theme/game combo is a much easier sell (look at the people lining up for Walking Dead already). Any baseball game is going to be a LOT more "wait and see" I think.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Chris Bardon said:
Wasn't Avengers the next game after X-Men? I'm pretty sure that X-Men was June 2012, and then Avengers was Dec 2012.

Yep. Good catch. I'll have to edit that. Thanks.

With MLB, it just seems like an absolute natural fit with all players involved...success on the other hand is unpredictable. If Stern was going to do it, maybe they would have done it by now. It's a very "Mustang" type decision...

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Note to self... don't buy Truck Stop, Atlantis, Transporter: The Rescue, Elvira and the Party Monsters and Mousin’ Around with dented side rails :)

Great write up and glad you were able to replace the dented rails on your EATPM.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
An interview near and dear to me...I talked to Jess Askey, webmaster of the Internet Pinball Serial Number Database (http://www.ipsnd.net), probably the most under-used resource in our community. We get to see how the database first took shape and take a look behind the serial numbers to find out what kind of information the numbers can actually tell us.

PEOPLE: Jess Askey of the Internet Pinball Serial Number Database
http://creditdotpinball.com/2015/02...-the-internet-pinball-serial-number-database/

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I never knew about Internet Pinball Serial Number Database and will submit all my game serial numbers later tonight when I get home.

Thanks for posting another great blog entry Rob and keep it up!

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
I've been a participant over at IPSND since 2012 and more recently became a mod/admin guy for the site, which includes verifying serials, cleaning up entries, answering questions, collecting back glass images and lots of other plebe work...which I enjoy immensely. It is amazing the info you can glean from looking at the numbers...the more submissions the site gets, the more accurate conclusions we can draw about the business and hobby of pinball.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW (AND MORE) ABOUT MICHAEL JACKSON AND PINBALL. Not sure why the caps...I don't even particularly like Michael Jackson. However, I do love when pop music intersects with other media. Find out about the Michael Jackson/Pepsi pinball machine, Jackson's Neverland pinball lineup, and more...

Feature: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Michael Jackson and Pinball
http://creditdotpinball.com/2015/02...ed-to-know-about-michael-jackson-and-pinball/

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
6421-michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

Thanks for another great write up Rob.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Oh, Sweet!!!

Few people know this; but...
Several of the good pins "I do love"...

All went to Rob, to fix, save, restore, do up and ah? write about em.
Charlie's Angel's is one of these: And I can't wait to read this next tale.
I appreciate all that you do; what you write about and show us my friend.

Reactions: spiroagnew