• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Corrosion is bad, right?

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Opened up my Fire last night. Under playfield looks mint. The backbox however held some bad news. Corrosion on the MPU. Attached is a pic of the affected area. To some of the veterans...this board is toast right? The game boots and the power supply checks good. I get a "bong" but no LEDs or other signs of power on this MPU.

epa9ysav.jpg

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
The board could be cleaned and possibly salvaged? Clay aka pinball ninja has repaired a few corroded boards

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZSt50Y5DZII[/youtube]

Clay tried to neutralize the corrosion (which is a strong base) by applying some yellow mustard (to the area affected. Mustard is a weak acid, and this counteracts the corrosion’s base. After a minute he washed the mustard away with some iso alcohol. Then sanded the area and checked for any circuit board breaks using the DMM set to low resistance “buzz.”

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rs0PofK0r3k[/youtube]

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
That board is probably done for. Once you get corrosion in to those fine traces around and under those PIA's you're screwed.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
No, fire needs the sound section. A plain old sys11 board can be made to work, or an 11A. An 11B can be used if you repopulate the missing components from the sound section.

somed00dxx

Nov 5, 2013
GTA
I fixed a baby pacman board that was worse than that. I personally would try. But it's a fair amount of work.
Richard

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
I'll probably get a replacement, then practice my soldering skills on this board to see if I can get it back in working order. I have a couple of games that use this board, so it will be nice to monkey around with it to try and get a spare.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yeah, anything can be fixed it all depends on your skill level and how much time you invest into it. I've fixed boards with worse corrosion, so it can be done. If you can find a used or replacement board for a good price go that route, and then take your time working towards resurrecting that one. When finished you'd have a good working spare or you could sell it off and recoup some of your replacement investment.

D

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
What Doug said. I've had boards that bad or worse and have been largely successful doing it, but it can be a long and trying process.