• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Cleaning up a Gottlieb Jacks Open

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I was going to post this in "what did you do today?", but figured the EM section of this forum doesn't get a lot of love :(

So, I've been contemplating letting my Gottlieb Jacks Open go.
I've had a year-long love affair with wedgeheads since getting my Centigrade 37, and now I'm up to 6.
originally I had planned for 3... but we all know how that goes :FP:

So, with a friend coming next week to see it and possibly buy it, I wanted to make sure it was all cleaned up and playing right.
As is always the case, once I was done, I had a few awesome games and started to question my decision to part with this classic. Oh well, you can't have them all.

I found a broken connection at one of the pop bumper coils and another one had a sticky spoon switch. So that got sorted.
Then I removed all the plastics (some were badly broken) and pulled all the rubber.
I gave the game a very quick pass with some magic eraser and alcohol. Then I did a temporary touch-up on a few worn edges and gave it 3 coats of hard paste wax.
I put on all new rubbers, installed a new set of plastics (acquired from PBR) and she looks and plays like a million bucks!
The 1000's score reel still refuses to re-set all the way to zero on maybe 1 out of every 8-10 games. I guess it needs a little clean. But otherwise, this Jacks Open is all set!

Attachments

• JO_compare.jpg
    JO_compare.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 513
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 513
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 513

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Deadly addiction. I partly blame Drano for my EM addiction. I counted 8 this morning.
4 - Wedges
4 - Others
Doh! I just counted a 9th.
They are breeding on their own again.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
spiroagnew said:
Looks like a million bucks. Love the aesthetics of the wedgeheads...it's a wormhole is rather not go down, buying one appears to lead to owning multiple!

I think every serious pinball fan/collector should own at least one.
Aside from just looking/soundign cool, they are the most frustratingly fun games to play. The objectives are simple and easy to grasp, and you won't leave that pin until you've gotten at least one special... at least not by choice.
I find they are always a huge hit with non-pinheads too. Very approachable games and, unless you're talking about a handfull of the "premiere" titles that sell for over $1000 and even close to $2000, most can be had for between $300-$800.
Also, when you just want a quick fix and don't feel like investing into a 30 minute round of LOTR, EMs fit the bill.

Go ahead.... you know you WAAAAAANT one :D

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
DRANO said:
Go ahead.... you know you WAAAAAANT one :D

I'll work on my "Top 3" Sys11/DMD list, for now. However, I do not have too much EM experience under my belt so it may be glorious, I'd rather not awaken the beast. Out of all wedgeheads, I have played El Dorado the most...say like 40 games total over the years...can't have too many drop targets!

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
Owning one is impossible. My problem started with AC70 when he sold me a Batter Up. The appeal is that these are not 25 minute games. They can last literally about a minute with some bad bounces. They are simple, but maddening as you come so close. Batter Up is especially maddening since it is an add a ball and it is heartbreaking to lose that last ball one run from another ball.

Since the Batter Up, I have added King of Diamonds, Sky Jump, Big Hit, Pro Football and may add a couple of more this week.