• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Building a Dream

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
You'd think underground would be better, wouldn't it? I can imagine one of those lines getting downed at some point, and taking forever to get fixed, not to mention that you'd be on the hook for the cost then. And if that happens, say, the week you're hosting IFPA?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Still moving forward, we have a roof now, we picked the colors for the metal, it's going to be Blue Siding with a Charcoal roof.

But I'm starting to realize that this thing is most likely going to have to sit unoccupied for at least a year or more at this point. I'm running low on funds FAST and while I've got enough to get it standing, I won't have a cent left to do anything other than that.

Hindsight being 20/20 I really wish I would have know it was going to cost as much as it has been so I could stop myself from doing it. But no real choice but to move forward at this point so that's what I'm continuing to do .

I keep running through the scenario of what machines I could let go from my collection to make up the shortfall in funds but then I keep running in circles in my head:

I can sell machines to pay for the building, but I need machines to fill the building, but I need funds to pay for it, but whats the point of having it if you have no machines, and round and round I go.

Short term issues for sure, and I'm 100% positive once it's done and populated, and I'm using it I won't even remember how frustrated I'm feeling right now with how much cash I'm outlaying for this thing.

Oh well, this is my thread and I'll bitch if I want to!

9986d5cabecadc38c0fe1a08d031810e.jpg

cc963ab3a00949b17721fdcc4866b52f.jpg

32bedff036c6ff9fe6dcadcb7c92ec5f.jpg

7e6e5249676e765836c4b4b930fa50aa.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I have never built a structure like this before so I don't know the process. I don't understand how the wooden posts that make up the walls of the garage are going to keep from rotting, same with the boards that travel around the base of the structure. Is each post in a Sonotube? Do the base boards come off after the concrete is poured?

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Good progress! I can totally understand your frustration. The reno/construction of my gamesroom also went WAYYY over budget. But once it's done you will be in awe of what money can buy and you will spend late nights basking in the glory of your gamesroom oasis! LOL... But I'm curious... How much as a % are your cost overruns now? Are the overruns from the builder or other subs not included in the builder contract? Did you have a fixed price contract with the builder?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I have never built a structure like this before so I don't know the process. I don't understand how the wooden posts that make up the walls of the garage are going to keep from rotting, same with the boards that travel around the base of the structure. Is each post in a Sonotube? Do the base boards come off after the concrete is poured?

The base boards are the form for the concrete and the metal siding will be attached to them as well. They are being exposed directly to the dirt right now, but once the siding is on, nothing external will touch any of the wood.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Good progress! I can totally understand your frustration. The reno/construction of my gamesroom also went WAYYY over budget. But once it's done you will be in awe of what money can buy and you will spend late nights basking in the glory of your gamesroom oasis! LOL... But I'm curious... How much as a % are your cost overruns now? Are the overruns from the builder or other subs not included in the builder contract? Did you have a fixed price contract with the builder?

I'm about 150% over budget at this point.

It's not the building itself, that is right on budget, I just underestimated how much everything else was going to cost.

As an example, I figured site prep and excavation wouldn't be more than 10K, the final bill has just come in and I'm at 33K just for the site prep and excavation....

Now I've still got Electrical, insulation, heating, painting the floors, I need another survey to get my final approval, as part of my bylaw variance I have to add ease troughs, etc, etc, etc......

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Wow that's a big hit. Did your municipality impose a deadline to when you have to have it 100% completed or can you postpone indefinitely or until cash becomes available?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Wow that's a big hit. Did your municipality impose a deadline to when you have to have it 100% completed or can you postpone indefinitely or until cash becomes available?

I've got a deadline with the LSCRA that ends this year for my approval, but all of that work is done, I just need to pay to have ANOTHER survey done, to get final approval, which is just awesome.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Ah, ok. But you don't have a deadline for the second survey so you're ok to close it up and leave it if you really had to although that doesn't seem very fun.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Ah, ok. But you don't have a deadline for the second survey so you're ok to close it up and leave it if you really had to although that doesn't seem very fun.

The second survey is needed for the final approval from the LSCRA, so I have to do that before the snow hits since the approval from the LSCRA ends at the end of this year.

Everything else will have to wait

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I keep running through the scenario of what machines I could let go from my collection to make up the shortfall in funds but then I keep running in circles in my head:

I can sell machines to pay for the building, but I need machines to fill the building, but I need funds to pay for it, but whats the point of having it if you have no machines, and round and round I go.

Sorry to hear Adam and no point in selling your existing games because it will likely cost you more if you ever want to buy the same game back. Good luck and sure it will all work out in due time.

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
The base boards are the form for the concrete and the metal siding will be attached to them as well. They are being exposed directly to the dirt right now, but once the siding is on, nothing external will touch any of the wood.

I'm curious as well because I've never seen this type of build before either.

The 4x4s are in the ground. There is a baseboard form around the ground on the outside of the 4x4s. Is the concrete going to be poured inside so the entire pad is flat across and even with the top of the baseboard form?

When you take the form away, wouldn't you have exposed 4x4s that sink into the ground? What stops those from rotting or shifting? There would only be concrete on 3 sides. You'll put siding over the 4x4s, but they are still in direct contact with the ground.

All the garage pads I've seen have been a pad with a 6-8" foundation wall around it. The wall for the garage is bolted to the foundation wall and a moisture barrier is placed between the concrete and the wood to keep the wood dry. The siding extends an inch or two lower than the wood so water doesn't drip down the foundation wall.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I'm curious as well because I've never seen this type of build before either.

The 4x4s are in the ground. There is a baseboard form around the ground on the outside of the 4x4s. Is the concrete going to be poured inside so the entire pad is flat across and even with the top of the baseboard form?

When you take the form away, wouldn't you have exposed 4x4s that sink into the ground? What stops those from rotting or shifting? There would only be concrete on 3 sides. You'll put siding over the 4x4s, but they are still in direct contact with the ground.

All the garage pads I've seen have been a pad with a 6-8" foundation wall around it. The wall for the garage is bolted to the foundation wall and a moisture barrier is placed between the concrete and the wood to keep the wood dry. The siding extends an inch or two lower than the wood so water doesn't drip down the foundation wall.

The 6x6 posts are in huge holes:

hole-jpg.4668

with a concrete base and then filled in with limestone gravel.

The concrete floor is just a floating slab, the metal will extended down to protect the wood, the form doesn't get taken away, it's now part of the structure, but it acts as a from as well.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
What about running a bunch of 50/50 tournaments? I know I'd support you. I'm sure others here would be willing as well!

I've been thinking more about this, I've never been a fan of asking for handouts, once the building is done I have plans to monetize things so to speak.

Things like when I run tournaments I plan to have all my machines on tokens that way I can be taking in some extra cash for machines played. There will be an initial cost for mechs and tokens but I'm not gonna go crazy and get some custom ones, I'll just have use the regular .96 ones and find some generic change machine.

I might do something like a 50/50 tournament after it's built cause then at least I'm letting people experience what I've created rather than asking for money and tell them they can experience it later.

Either way it will get built, I'm already starting to forget the money spent :) There is always just the initial shock when you write the check and things will just have to take longer that initially planned.

Walls are here BTW :D

11694991_10156189717210215_6910329567920653403_n.jpg

12141792_10156189717680215_4764647983758373847_n.jpg

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Things like when I run tournaments I plan to have all my machines on tokens that way I can be taking in some extra cash for machines played. There will be an initial cost for mechs and tokens but I'm not gonna go crazy and get some custom ones, I'll just have use the regular .96 ones and find some generic change machine.

Why wouldn't you just charge a flat host fee instead of tokens? With tokens, you need mechs for a ton of machines, plus making change, plus the hassle to switch things on/off of free play all the time.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Adam,
All the best in your excellent endeavour.
So many people have offered advice and caution.
I hope it all works out for the best for you my friend.
It is different and unexpected. Filling it with pins: next challenge.
Scott