• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Bally Grand Slam Project Thread

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
I'm not sure how far I'm going to take this, but I've started.

Picked up a 1983 Bally Grand Slam 2 player game a few weeks ago that definitely needs some attention. I bought a total of 20 #555 light bulbs and I should have bought at least 20 more. Some issues with the connections because not all lights came on when I replaced them but many did. A few basic clean up steps and minor adjustments and the game is working.

My first (of what I'm sure will be many) question is about the center display. It keeps track of runs scored and is barely on. The flickering results in no display or little display more often than not. It does appear to get a bit better when left on for a while but it's never fully on. The picture below makes it look better than it really is, perhaps it's displaying better after the game is over than during the game:

I'd removed and reseated the connection a few times and it has made no difference. The manual describes it as "Display Driver A1 AS-2518-21".

It looks like I may need to get myself some additional tools or help to fix this problem, I assume this site has correct information?

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index3.htm#display

Thanks

Last edited:

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Where you mention the display gets better the longer it's on, I can pretty much gaurentee you the glass portion of the display is outgassing. Unfortuately there is no way to repair this other than to replace the glass display. You should be able to verify this by moving a known working display into this spot for testing. (I'm going to assume it's just a standard 6 digit numeric?) If any of the other display locations use the same display, you can safely swap them around.

D