• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

3D Printed Bally Drop Target

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
After repeatedly breaking old brittle drop targets, I thought I would try to make one before I buy new. I may have to print the whole set (11) in a couple different colors. They may not be as nice as originals with the little devils, but I could always add decals. What do you think?
P3221193.JPG P3221186.JPG

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Awesome. I'm surprised the community doesn't make more of it's own parts and just share the files. Then we'd have a database of parts at our disposal.

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
Pow, Biff, Bam, Zap !
In case anyone is interested how the 3d printed Bally drop targets turned out. I printed 11 drops in two colors and installed them tonight and put them through the torture test. All is good.
P3291205.JPG P3291215.JPG

Reactions: Mike Walsh

Mike Walsh

Aug 12, 2017
C.B.S. , Newfoundland
Wow Rascal, really nice!
I have been threatening to get a 3D printer.
It would be a work purchase of course, Ha!
But the possibilities for mods and parts are
endless. What would you recommend for a brand?
Mike

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
Definitely do your homework before you buy. I started with a PLA printer but I am thinking the next one will be SLA resin printer. The advantage with SLA is no visible layers as it prints upside down within a liquid resin, but the printer I use now the PLA (or ABS) plastic is on a spool and no matter how fine you make the layers, they will always be somewhat visible. There are so many things available to print in pre-made 3d models, you won't know where to start. And if your really good at designing the possibilities are endless.

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
I forgot about this one. Every time I make one of these little skull pistons I end up giving it away. Made a new one today and painted it up quickly and found a spot near the piston shots. What do you think, don't look too bad.

P6241368.JPG P6241370.JPG

flashman

Apr 1, 2014
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yeah I like the way that looks, skull pistons....looks really good on a Metallica pin. They both look good by the way, but I really like the way you painted the first one with that rustic look. How did you do that?

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
Yeah I like the way that looks, skull pistons....looks really good on a Metallica pin. They both look good by the way, but I really like the way you painted the first one with that rustic look. How did you do that?
That was a stock photo from the Thingiverse website where I downloaded the 3d model. I spend less than 5 mins painting mine but the rustic look could be achieved with a little more time and color selection.